Tanks which shock themselfs, and worse. Bug, flaw with seek hull down?

Im getting pretty fed up with tanks that shoot in the ground a couple of meters in front of them. This typically happnes when the tank is in a hull down pos. One would assume that if there is a risk for hitting the ground right in front of it, the tank would instead be careful and rather overshoot the target. And ofcos you have those tanks that fire round after round in front of them. This is just silly, and annoying!

Ive lost TCs, got damaged guns and hit friendly troops in front of them. And all this trying to be sensible, i.e. taking up a hull down pos. The way it is now, I sometimes have to put the AFV in full view just so it can hit something else than itself!

Isnt it possible for BTS to patch this? I would hope so...

[ January 24, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Panzer76 ]

ummm.....me thinks you have to be more specific than that. i..e. what tank that was hull down undershoot the enemy. were the tank memebers newbie or regulars or veteran.

it is tough to generalise on cmbb... there simply too many variables, and variables dependent on other variables.

it is generally assumed to be normal if the russian tank in question is a veteran or crack to hit the enemy, but only after several tries...ie. undershoot, overshoot and adjust accoringly.

also the optics of the russian tanks sucked royally. did it attempt to shoot at over 800 metres ?

I did a test, and found the results to be quite remarkable.

4 IS-2 with green crew.

No enemy.

I sat them up in front of a small hill, and gave them "seek hull down" command to a target ca 100 m in front of the hill.

First of all, 2 of the AFV never got hull down to the target, even though I gave them the orders multiple times, they stopped before they could get LOS to the target, which either means they THOUGHT they could see it, in case the hull down command doesnt work properly, or the LOS tool doesnt work properly.

So, of the 2 IS-2s that did manage a hull down pos to the target, here is the result:

Shots fired :13

Shots that hit ground 5 m in front of them: 13

On top of that, 2 TC got killed.

Isnt this remarkable?! This shows that the seek hull down pos order is useless in this setting, if you seek hull down to the target!

100 % of all shots hit right in front of the tanks!

Originally posted by Panzer76:

Im getting pretty fed up with tanks that shoot in the ground a couple of meters in front of them. This typically happnes when the tank is in a hull down pos.

Isnt it possible for BTS to patch this? I would hope so...

This is a known and very annoying 'problem' that seems to crop up on a regular basis and has been discussed at length in various threads. As far as I know without eliciting any official response....

Fingers crossed that it'll be patched soon.

Well, I re ran the test with Elite crew, I would assume they could target better.

Result: Exactly the same.

2 IS-2s never got LOS to target, even though orderd to seek hull down to target multiple times.

The 2 others happily fired ALL rounds into the ground.

This is serioulsy something BTS should fix!

Any offical answer to this?

BTW: The hill is built like this :9-10-11-11 and the target 140 m in front of the AFVs when they are in a hull down pos.