Missing Winter Mods

Having posted this topic with regard to CMAK and CMBO, it's time to move to CMBB. I have been collecting mods for a very long time. During that time there have been crashes at CMMODS, the result of which have been lost mods. But the bottom line is that a number of winter mods for certain units never have and/or do not currently exist, at least as far as I know.

Of course it is my hope that our talented modders will fill the gaps that we find. If any of the listed items have been modded, please post and let us know where each is, and under what name/category.

Beginning with thw winter of 1941, I am surveying my harddrive to determine what winter mods are MIA. This will take some time and I may miss some due to the four geographic sectors that have to be checked for each time frame, as well as the existance of Axis and Alled minor units.

Thus far I've found the following mods to be "missing":

1. German 38 (T)E & G tanks (my turrets are whitewashed and so are a few minor parts, but the rest of these tanks are not). [North]

2. German heavy ATR [North]

3. German and Soviet 37 mm flak gun (barrel needs winter camo) [North]

4. Soviet 76.2 mm M37/39 gun (only the gun shield shows winter camo) [North]

5. Finnish 40 mm Flak (barrel needs winter camo) [Finland]

6. Italian 65mm Mtn How [south]

7. Italian and Soviet 47 mm ATG [south]

8. Soviet 25 mm AA gun [south]

9. German 20 mm quad (barrels need winter camo) [south]

I also do not get the Germans (Heer and probably others) in winter uniforms in the South. While I suspect that this is because I haven't installed the proper mod, I put it out there for the purpose of requesting suggestions with regard to where I can find a winter mod for these troops.

Thanks in advance to all who help!

1. German 38 (T)E & G tanks (my turrets are whitewashed and so are a few minor parts, but the rest of these tanks are not).
There is a work around for this you need to find a winterized version of this AFV, then take a copy of the 6216* numbers and renumber them as follows,

62160 to 65220

62161 to 65221

62165 to 65225

There is a small visual glitch in the front but it's nothing major, it's just that there needs to be a little reworking done on the BMP's.

There are these cmmos packs made up by Gorden Molek that has about 90% of everything in a whitewashed effect here.

Winterized German Units

All you need to do is extract thses zips to a working folder and crop off the _ww off the ends of the numbers and then move these reworked numbers into your BMP folder.

2. German heavy ATR
As far as I can tell nobody has ever been bothered with winterizing this little puppy. If I knew the bmp set I'd maybe take a crack at it.

3. German and Soviet 37 mm flak gun (barrel needs winter camo)
As stated above the German stuff is at that link and Soviet stuff is at this link.

Soviet winterized stuff

Again as above just crop off the _ww off the cmmos'ed numbers.

As for all the rest they would be taking care of if you download those cmmos packs and rework them into non cmmos form and drop the stuff into your BMP folder.

Then of course you can overwrite with newer versions of units as time marches on.

Thanks Daffy--the fix for the German 38 (T)E & G worked.

However, none of the rest of the missing winter 1941 mods seem to be covered by CMMOS packs. All the CMMOS German guns are dunkelgrau and not grey. Turning to the Soviet gun download, these did not contain any BMP numbers that weren't already accounted for (unless I missed something). Therefore all Soviet guns on the list remain unaccounted for.

The Italian and other mods are still MIA as well.

Thanks--I did not catch the second page of the German mods. However, if memory serves, I downloaded all of these mods when they were first posted. After stripping them down to their bare (non CMMOS) BMP number, I put all of them (both German and Soviet) into my BMP file. If so, I should already be covered for all mods that appear on the link provided by Daffy.

The second point is that I recall these mods were posted before any CMBB patches came out. My strong recollection is that some of the BMPS were changed when new units were added and some existing ones changed in patches 1.01 and/or 1.02. It is possible that some of the missing items may have been caught up in those changes.

All the guns other then the German 20mm Heavy AT Rifle and the Romanian 25mm AA gun are included in the those German Grey and Yellow cmmos packs.

And I believe any unique Russian gun is already whitewashed in that Russian gun cmmos pack.

There is a lot of sharing going in respect to the guns in cmbb.

I'll try to point out as many as I can think of.

The Hungarian, Finnish 40mm AA gun, the Romanian and Russian 37mm AA gun is actually the German hard coded 37mm AA gun that is shared by all the previous parties mentioned. The russian one stays in dunkelgrau throughout the war.

All the 20mm AA guns is also the German hardcoded 20mm AA gun shared with all the other countries, (including the Russian 25mm, which I believe stays in the dunkelgrau(grey) color through out the war).

The Italian 75mm and Russian 76.2mm, 85mm AA guns is the hardcoded German 88mm gun being shared with the previous stated, also I believe that the italian and russian guns stay in the dunkelgrau color throughout the war.

Any captured guns are the actual respected original owners hardcoded guns being shared, ie: the Finnish m27/39 gun is in fact the Russian hardcoded gun being shared.

Actually mostly all the Axis guns are shared versions of German hardcoded guns, except for the 45mm At guns which is a shared Russian gun. Also except of course capture Russian guns, which can ya guess, are shared hardcoded Russian guns.

As far as some of the Italian guns goes, it appears that this country just uses the one color bmp scheme, which in this case is in the dunkelgelb(yellow) color. So those gune are in the dunkelgelb cmmos pack.

I'm using all the Guns from those cmmos packs other then, of course my versions of the German 37mm AA and the 150mm inf gun drawn by Andrew Fox.

You need the German grey(grau) and yellow(gelb) gun pack and the Russian gun pack and all that isn't in a whitewash will be those two guns I mentioned at the start of this rant. smile.gif

I forgot to mention that I have the North American CDV 103 SE release version and after I reworked the above stated packs and dropped them into my BMP folder I had all the guns whitewashed other then those two mentioned. :D

[ January 19, 2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: DEY ]

I just checked the cmmos packs again.

The russian pack does have all the russian built guns in a whitewash.

There is three versions of that long barrel 76.2mm AT gun, but there is only one hardcoded gun for all versions of it, including the axis captured versions. It appears that the winter BMP set for this gun is 64180-64191, the 57mm AT appears to be numbered 63980-63191.

Also the 45mm m38, m42 AT and short barrel 76.2mm m27/39, m43 are in this pack in a whitewashed form.

Any of the rest of the Soviet guns are shared versions of the hard coded German guns, which use the dunkelgrau color throughout the war. Actually it appears that any of the German shared guns by either the Russians or Axis minors all stay in the grey color throughout the war.

I see the gun shield for the Italian 65mm Mtn gun in the German Yellow gun cmmos pack, it's numbered 62305.

And bmp 62289 appears to be the wheel for the Italian and Romanian 47mm AT gun.

And the grey version also as stated works fine.

So I suggest you try copying again, reworked non cmmos bmps and then doing a bmp to bmp comparison afterwards of the ones copied into the bmp folder with the reworked bmps from the packs.

In regards to the non painted gun barrels of the AA guns, they may had not been painted by the modder, I know my versions in the flaktrack packs aren't. smile.gif

Thanks to Daffy for his suggestions and insight. I found some of the CMMOS gun BMP base numbers that I did not have and added them.

Bottom line with reard to 11/41 winter mods that are missing (excluding AA/Flak barrels referenced above):

1. German Heavy AT Rifle

2. Romanian 25 mm AA gun

Also I saw very few early war German Heer winter mods. Perhaps this is becasue the Germans generally used makeshift and captured winter clothing during the first winter on the Eastern Front.

[ January 21, 2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: KG_Jag ]

I have completed my search for missing winter mods through the end of 1942.

I was unable to find any more missing winter mods.

I was missing the winter Valentine III, but was able to pick it up at CMMODS. I noticed one odd thing about MikeyD's mod. The storage bins on the tank are not whitewashed. I'm not sure if the modder intended this effect or if it was an oversight.

WSS_WINTER2.ZIP contains 2 zips, white and camo.

partial readme:

Winter Waffen-SS Uniforms vol. 2, v.1.0

A MOD for Battlefront.com's Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin

by Andrew Fox

andrew@foxarts.com

This mod set adds winter uniform textures for mid-war Waffen-SS (or Waffengrenadier, for you CDV customers) infantry, mechanized, and mountain units in CM:BB. ......

Hi again

There is not a separate bmp for SS Pioneers. You must be missing something else. There is SS Infantry, Mechanized and Mountain.

You really should go to MD's GD site and look at the list of dates, units and bmps.

I did find a mistake in Andrew's Partisan1 mod has a black Soviet set 1 tanker arm 9350 in it. His Soviet Tank 1 has a brown uniform, apply that mod after the Partisan one.

J2D--I checked the GD site and did some other checking. As a result, I plugged a few holes and determined that some of the winter mods are fall camo uniforms and not winter white.

However, there appear to be two sets of German uniforms body BMPS (and I assume the parts for the rest of said uniforms) that are missing. That is, I have original BF (2001) body BMPs for these units, but no winter body BMPs for them. Further a BMP search at CMMODS for these BMPs comes up empty. They are:

1. Airborne-set 3 (body BMPs 59225-28) [original BF BMPs 9225-28]

2. Unknown set {I could not find these at GD site} (body BMPs 59062-64) [original BF BMPs 9062-9064]

Can anyone shed light on this?

Both CMAK and CMBB have 9062-9064. They are dot camo. I do not believe they ever appear in game. they could be placeholders that were not removed at final production or could be used in a future patch.

In CMAK, WSS is not in North Afrika, but if you pick them in the editor in Italy then change to early NA, the BB bmps that BFC put in the folder appear.

Late War FJ2 winter. I had to make a copy of Andrew's FJ1 winter and renumber for 59225 etc.

By winter 44-45 was there a FJ or were they absorbed into other divisions?

FJ were still fighting on the Eastern Front in early 1945. The newly formed and understrength 9th FJ Division was deployed outside Stettin on the Baltic at that time. It (or what was left of it) ended up in Berlin defending the Fuhrerbunker.

In early 1944 the 2nd FJ Division was in action in the Novgorodka and Kirovograd areas.