Veteran Grenadiers reluctant to use bundle grenades on enemy armor...

I played a scenario last night and was grateful to have eeked out a draw. The Russians had +50% so they had alot of armor.

To make a long story short, towards the end of the scenario, the enemy armor was in close proximity 20-30 meters of some of my healthy squads. Many of which had bundle grenades. His armor was a mix of T-34/76's and lend-lease Valentines. Some of the squads used their bundle grenades while others did not and were mowed down by T-34 canister shot because of their stupidity. All of the squads were veterans. What information am I not taking into account here? Why did these veteran troopers not use the only thing they had to take out the enemy armor which ultimately killed them?

I'm not complaining mind you. Heck of an exciting game actually. There were as many squads that did use their bundle grenades as there were squads that did not. I will say that if all the squads had used them, and again, it seemed that they all should have, the outcome would have been better than a draw.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

I would say this is one those situations where its a matter of several factors.

Getting a bundle fused and ready to use.

Being in position to use it.

Passing that "morale check" to have the nads to actually use it.

I thought about that as well. Some squads had the "nads" while others were a little sheepish about the prospect of crawling up to the green monsters. The moral of the story based on this scenario is, "It pays to have nads!"

I have played scenarios were the AI seemed to be a little more prudent with where it drove it's armor. This particular game, I hid my men for as long as I could. There infantry came into the entrenched positions and once the small arms fire fight ensued, I had an artillery observer drop smoke. This effectively seperated the AI's men from their armor support. I think that's why the AI rolled in the tanks so close. This QB scenario was alot of fun.