Units getting pinned/taking cover

I dont get this, when units are under fire, especially by artillery, why do they go prone and crawl to cover? WOuldn't it be more realistic if the units RUN to cover? Imagine a beach landing scenario and tons of unit under fire by MGs and Artis, wouldn't they be sitting ducks trying to crawl to cover?

I don't think either way crawling or running would be completely correct 100% in all cases. When you are under fire you panic. There are also degrees of panic. Also depending on the actual situation and how heavy the fire is determines what your mind tells you to do and it takes over your body. Sometimes you freeze sometimes you run and sometimes you just head for cover. So nothing is completely correct either way so BFC had to make it one way or the other and they choose crawling I suppose although saying that I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if in the game men always crawl? Do they sometimes run? I don't know. But if they do crawl then that's the reason I suppose. My opinion for what it's worth.

they try to do running also.

But if the panic shoots up high due to close by explosions for example they stop running again, and lay still ore crawl. After then when panic settles a bit, they might try to run again.

Not bad for realism this.

So if they dont start running in the first place, the panic was up too high to do so. (i think?)

And dropping oneself to the ground while being shot at is the first thing to do. After that it may take quite a while before youll ever get up again)

And they allways move away from the last place of danger, so that might set them off to crawl into the open even more, but only untill they meet danger there aswell.(if im not mistaking)

[ July 26, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: theike ]