Hist Chan (U.S.) is doing Stalin tonight (2 Feb.) on Declassified (Time Warner Cable)

SpitfireXI,

Rats! Told people about it, then forgot myself.

I wrote to History Channel several years ago and pointed out not only a string of glaring problems, starting with Dauntlesses destroying Battleship Row, but the resulting credibility issues, and proposed a number of solutions, including tapping into the vast resources in the Washington, D.C. area for military history buffs, model builders, wargamers, etc., any one of whom could easily prevent most of the problems which so detract from our grog viewing pleasure.

There's nothing quite like watching a doc on the Bulge, only to be presented with Panzer Is in the Ardennes from the invasion of France. Am still trying to figure out whether one of the German units in the Bulge had a captured SU-76 in its force mix, or whether that was another History Channel wrong footage oops. The clip was a winter road column, in the forest.

The reply I got was pro forma, and clearly nothing was done to implement my proposed "get well" plan.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest ExplodingMonkey

Dear history buff,

Thank you for taking the time to write into The History Channel’s administration and production offices. We’re sorry to inform you that we simply don’t give a **** about history. We produce a series of television shows aimed at middle-aged men who will hopefully buy the worthless crap our sponsors pay airtime for.

Because of this, we are not interested in your observations on panzer this or Hitler that. We tell our button monkeys in the cubicals to stitch together a new show every few days from the sixteen existing clips in our database. They have become quite good at this, and as a result, have allowed us to lower overhead and increase profits.

Do you really think any of our viewers care that there weren’t T-34s during the Peloponnesian war, or that the 9/11 attacks were not a product of FDR’s conspiracy to let India bomb Cuba during the missile crisis? Honestly, people watch our programs so that they can blather on like they’re history experts in a pathetic attempt to appear learned to their co-workers.

So please, stop writing us. We’re about money, not historical accuracy.

Sincerely,

Ben Afflack,

Director of THC operations, & kick ass fighter ace from Pearl Harbor