SPOILER: Discussion-Jaegermeister

SPOILER:

O.k. Old hat to many, but I'm a believer of,

'if rusty, do the tutorials again'.

I've played thru turn 22 as Allies(Russian's) and

although I kinda think it's cheating to replay

a scenario, I'm going to do it 'cause I'm getting

whooped and badly (rusty or not, I'm stubborn:)

First tho' a few things from the 'Advance Tutorial'briefing. Second paragraph, half way

thru, '...Altough the Russian IS-2 has it's weaknesses, this tank is capable of winning stand-offs with German heavy armor...' Right. O.k. Yes, I'm new to TRP and I'm sure that whole ridge on

my right flank is zeroed in, but really. I had 2 of these puppies, hull-down, trade shot's with a Panther at 768 meter's and got toasted both times.

There's also a ATG in a fox hole (probably an 88) that is condemning the rest to leak oil in fear

after two, again, hull down, got toasted (this is a bit more understandable...maybe). Yes, one was 'green', other's were regular and veteran and barely got off a shot before reversing like it was a slope of butter:) So. How's every one feel about this?

Third paragraph 'crest' on the ridge overlooking the town is so good for my hull down tanks. I don't think so. I as much as peek with a periscope (yes, Russkies didn't have them but just making a point:) I was getting shell frags embedded like I was dough. It goes on to say how

cool it is to have forest on one flank so opposing tanks can't bother me and good launching pad for a flanking manuever for some infantry.

(if my boy's went out in the open, they get punished, for they are getting it just in the woods on the crest of the right flanks hill as it is).

And the left has this nice hill I should take asap to have a good view of the village etc.etc.

(I tried to bring a tank up, cautiously to peek and promply got nailed by an ATG...lol. )

Let me tell ya, from my experience, tutorial or not, (and maybe chance if set-up for the German's is arbitrary), but the set-up for the Germans, regardless of the briefing of being 'lightly held'

(yes, it can be false intelligence, but still), this village is covered better then...well it's covered WELL:) And in depth. (Tiger's and Panther's on opposing hillsides backing up at least 4 very well placed ATG's.).

Well there is my initial, '...what the ----...'

reaction. I plan to try again, and the heck with the ridge, I may try to squeeze a rush on my left thru a small opening and do a flank roll up and take on the ATG's singly or so and avoid the heavy Armor making the ridge a 'open cookie jar of fun'.

Even saying all this, it is still an exciting and

cool map. I want to crack it. I'm a gamer of old with much experience and I'm being toasted. Shame!

:eek:

Donan

I really enjoyed this battle, I have played it several times. I found it to be an ideal application of Shoot'n'Scoot for the slow reloading Russian armor. This allows them to get their shots off without being exposed to as many replies. This would have been a GREAT scenario for the demo, it kind of has that "Valley of Trouble" feel to it.

As you might expect, this battle has been discussed before. A quick search in the Scenario Talk forum yielded the following links:

Thread1

Thread2

Happy reading!

With the reduction of CSTS (Cowardly Soviet Tanker Syndrome) it makes the battle a bit easier for the Soviets. Still, shoot and scoot is a must for the Soviet player. As for beating the battle, here is what I did.

I lined up about 10 JS-2s on the ridge north of town. The SU-122 (which lacked HC rounds :( ) were used a decoys/scouts to lure out AT guns and enemy tanks. AT guns were dealt with using either 122mm guns, HMGs, or the 76.2mm spotter*

When enemy tanks showed up I had just about every tank I could muster "Shoot and Scoot" at once while using command delays to make sure they all popped up at once. When all was said and done, I had lost 9 (4 JS-2, 4-SU-122, 1 KV)tanks while the Germans had lost all 7. I managed a tactical victory and had every flag in my possesion by the time the game ended.

On a side note, infantry played a very small part in the battle. 2 rifle platoons and Pioneer platoon were used to clear the village, all the other infantry units stuck around the tanks to help spot for them and to suppress any AT guns that popped up.

Nothing looks better than a Tiger with 6+ yellow lines aimed at it. :D

*Don't forget, use the 132mm Rocket spotter as a prep bombardment on the town. The delay time on it makes it about useless once the battle starts.

I am currently playing this as the Russians in a PBEM game, and I'm getting toasted too! Just getting over the ridge was damn near impossible, I even tried a rush of IS2's but they were cut down almost before they could get a shot off! I fear I am going to lose this one heavily smile.gif