QBs and casualties

I like to buy troops for both sides when I play against the AI in a QB. I find that it increases the challenge since the AI has a habit of buying stupid vehicles or items completely inappropriate to the map. However, it's not as much fun when I know exactly what the enemy has (number of guns, tanks, etc.) I tried to use the Casualty option for the AI's units. That way some of the units will be removed and I never know exactly how much guns, etc will end up on the map. The drawback is that all of their infantry units end up depleted as well. Is there a way to have casualties affect just the number of units that appear and not the quality of the units that remain? How big of a detriment is it to have depleted squads? (I assume that a depleted squad costs fewer points so that they can at least have more of them.)

Of course you could also let the computer buy the forces for BOTH sides. You get an even battle and the chance to try your hand at directly more, um, interesting (yeah, that's the word) force mixes than you would be likely to come up with on your own.