Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

What is the relationship between aircraft and AA vehicles

Deploying AA DOESNT preclude arrival of aircraft.

Aircraft have a chance to arrive each turn of a given battle if theres AA or not.

All battles I´ve fought, in which I bought AA, did have aircraft. AA does help with f00king up the aiming of those planes, though ....

It can actually shoot them down also - points in the bag smile.gif For killing rather than annoying I suggest the 37mm. BTW planes can shoot up your AA so if you expect air having more than one AA asset is useful.

The us with lots of vehicle borne 0.5" HMG'S do not need additional AA. Russians, the British/ Commonwealth , and the Germans need to account for potential aircraft.

The 88mm flak does not operate in an AA role nor do other countries heavy AA as they are not designed for ground attack defense.

Aircraft can turn up very late, and they can bomb your troops, so they are a mixed blessing. They may also just fly in the once out of a potential five attacks. Having said that there is something nice to see when they fly over shooting up self-propelled guns which are giving you grief.

There does seem a body of opinion who feel that aircraft are gamey/unrealistic and like to ban them by using perpetually overcast skies. Not having any AA defence is unrealistic also ...

Der Alte Fritz,

Hostile! On a more serious note, I can assure you, based on bitter experience, that buying AA doesn't keep the planes away all by itself. The principal function of AA is disrupting the effectiveness of air attack on ground units, with kills a bonus.

AA can also be very nasty against ground units. See, for example, 2 cm Flakvierling vs. infantry. I agree with dieseltaylor's recommendation regarding the 3.7 cm Flak, a solution the Germans came to themselves after such edifying spectacles as the one seen by uber Stuka pilot Rudel, in which he watched 2 cm flak bounce off the armor of Il-2s attacking his airfield. The 3.7 cm can also wreak havoc on AFVs and softskins while being hard to spot. Am not quite sure how the game models it, but I'd imagine a Flakvierling at work flinging streams of tracer would be much scarier than far less frequent flaming golfballs from the 3.7 cm., even if a single hit was far less lethal.

Veterans accounts from the Vietnam War tend to reinforce this conclusion. Much to be said for volume of fire!

While it certainly is annoying to be bombed, rocketed, or strafed by friendly aircraft, this is frighteningly historically accurate and is a problem to this day. On the plus side, it is very satisfying to have your planes locate and blast

a target, especially if you didn't know it was there. While I don't recommend it, the relief at coming through a misdirected friendly strike is almost palpable, too.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ May 15, 2008, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]