Tires - why won't they burn ?

Imagine you have three Fallschirmjäger squads crawling through a wheat field to close the distance to a BA-6 armoured car...

Your Fallschirmjägers have only Stielhandgranten left, since all Gewehrgranaten and geballte Ladungen were spent to destroy an enemy bunker...

Finally you are near enough and order your men to attack...two Stielhandgranaten are thrown and the wheat beneath the armoured car catches fire...

The fire spreads rapidly...

Now the BA-6 drives straight ahead, then reverses back into the fire, comes out again only to reverse once more right into the fire (..perhaps the crew was panicked?) - shouldn't the tires of the BA-6 catch fire and shouldn't this result in an immobile BA-6 ?

(..the Ba-6 spent one and a half minutes in the fire...)

burn_baby_burn.JPG

Regards, Sven

Rubber is actually moderately hard to set on fire, and remember that the graphic os a tile being on fire does not mean the whole thing is a raging inferno.

Indeed from the couple of large grass fires I've seen and been in there's very little fire at all in the middle - most of the flame is around the outside and propagating outwards. The heat in hte middle comes from larger bushes and roots that are still burning - you couldn't lie down on much of hte ground because there's always hot spots coming up, but it doesn't set boot soles on fire!

Aye, thanks a lot for your answers gentlemen !

I just hoped the BA-6 would be disabled by the fire, but I think a Wurfmine or a geballte Ladung from a nearby Panzerjäger team will also do the job.

The good thing about the fire is that the BA-6 crew seems to be panicked / confused, so far they have only fired one grenade at the nearby Fallschirmjägers without causing any casualities...

By the way...why won't tanks drive through fires like the fire above? When I order a tank to drive through a fire it will take a route around it...such a bushfire shouldn't be able to cause any damage on a tank - or am I wrong again ?

(...perhaps the crew just don't want to inhale too much smoke ?)

Regards, Sven.

P.S. @ Nils Eikelenboom, your Sevastopol A1 Operation just kicks ass! Great work, I love it!

Tankers don't like to get their tanks dirty. You never know when the beast will decide to crap out on you so why take chances you don't have to.

I have seen crews flee an immobilized tank that is suddenly engulfed in a grass fire. Pretty neat actually. The hit that immobilized the tank caused the sparks that started the fire. A couple minutes later the fire spread and the crew beat a hasty retreat.

I thought I recognized the fires on the background.

They're from the airstrip on the west side of the map right ?

Yup, it's the wrecked airstrip...

I'm through with the first battle now, and this BA-6 won't cause me any headaches any more...but it was tough... 5 Stielhandgranten hit the Ba-6, number three immobilized it. Then a Wurfmine hit it, no big effect...but the geballte Ladung finally did the job... ;)

I'm going to post an AAR on the http://www.eichenbaum.org - forum when I've finished the operation...(...this will take a while though, I've not much time tom play these days...)

Greetings, Sven