Exactly which Panzer 38(t)

I found this one out and will post tonight on this.

Basically only the 6th,7th, and 8th Divisions used the 35/38 series. But then some versions were used by some divisions while the others used a different division.

I will post a better response tonight.

MikeT

Mike,

I know that the 38(t) was used by 7th/8th/12th/19th and 20th Panzer divisions in 1941 and the 38(t) was used by 6th Division.

In mid 1942 8th/19th/20th still had some, 22nd used a lot of them and there were a few in 1st/2nd/27th.

What I can't find out is which version i.e. A-G. A,B, and C are very similar but the D-G are noticably up armoured. And it is which version I am attempting to find out.

Here we go again...my finger hurt now:

Pz35t-298 were built by the Czechs in 1936-1939. Another 126 were exported to Rumania in 1936 where they were known as the R-2. When the Germans occupied Czechoslovakia, they seized 219 while the other 79 were kept by newly 'independant' Slovakia. Use confined to the 6th Panzer Brigade of the 1st Light Division in Poland and later the 6th Panzer Division in France and Russia.

Pz38tA-a replacement for the 35t ordered in 1938. Used in Poland by the 1st and 3rd Light Divisions; in Norway; in France by the 7th and 8th Panzer Divisions; and in the Balkans by the 8th Panzer Division. In Russia it was used by the 6th,7th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 19th, 20th, and 22nd Panzer Divisions. 565 were built of various models.

Pz38tE- Uparmored (snicker). 846 were built.

Info from ASL Rulebook, Section H, page 9.

My best guess is worked out as follows.

There are around 625 38(t) serving in Panzer divisions in 1941. 455 of those build are model A-D and were completed by November 1940. Some were in service with allies (mostly Slovakia) and some must have been lost pre 1941 (I have no figures for this, anyone ?)

If we assume that accounts for 155 that leaves possibly 300 A-D in 1941. The other 325 must be E or F.

This is further supported by the fact that the 275 E's produced were all completed by January 1941 and of the 250 F's built between Nov '40 and Oct '41 many would have been available by June '41.

Still doesn't answer which division's have which as I would like but it is a start. I would imagine 7th may have the better vehicles as it is the more pampered of the bunch and is noted to be Vetran. Possibly 8th too as another of the old Divisions, but there is a fair argument for the newly equiped to have had the best kit, given that supply officers didn't seem to care what they sent where.

On which unit had which, nothing new to add. But if you haven't been to the following site and want details of different models produced, when, you should definitely check it out. It has more detail e.g. about when it is a Pz38t C and when a G, than others I've seen. There is a fair amount of other stuff around the site worth poking through, too. Here is the URL -

http://www.panzerworld.net/

I hope this helps.