PzIIIH: Layered vs Single Plate Armour - why not in succedding variants?

Originally posted by JasonC:

Bastables - tell it to Massignani. A factory rebuild would certainly be needed for the *suspension*, to get full mobility despite the extra weight. You are the first person I know who thinks it was hard to bolt on the plates themselves. Since they were sometimes sheered off by hits, I find it hard to credit. Do you think 2 pdrs are failing at 500 yards in the first half of 1941 against 30mm armor on unimproved Gs?

Give me the quote and or info Jason, running around and just saying that ausf G were uparmoured does not make it true.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to my calculations and British firing test data, 2 pdr AP would penetrate 50mm of face-hardened armor at 500m on half the hits (no side angle from firer to plate facing).

Hits on front of PzKpdw III Ausf J could fail at 500 yards with a bit of a side angle, especially if they landed on the nose armor.

[ June 04, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: rexford ]