praises and suggestions

this is a great game and that is obvious even after only playing it for a couple of weeks against the computer. it warrants many praises.

i do find 2 main things missing that i think are important and that i'd like to see in a game like this:

1. a summary order of battle available as a page accessible during the game (like in spwaw).

2. iconic top-down graphics, which allow at-a-glance information of all units in top-down view. it would be nice not to have to scroll or jump all over the map in 3-d view, when a battle's strategy is a 2-d problem (like in cc). the current 2-d top-down views show indistiguishable unit bases with hard-to-see units even at maximum unit size (which is really hokey). it would be nice to have icons so one could play this as a classic wargame, with all the wonderful combat mission internal mechanics and realism built in. what makes this game great are the mechanics, and it would be nice to toggle back and forth between 3d and a more informative 2d view.

otherwise, i will keep playing because the merits of this game greatly outweigh these two limitations.

[ March 01, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: lute ]

Originally posted by lute:

1. a summary order of battle available as a page accessible during the game (like in spwaw).

I agree with this. Unfortunately, BFC don't seem to be interested in this. Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I recall they have explicitly said that it's not gonna happen.

2. iconic top-down graphics, which allow at-a-glance information of all units in top-down view. it would be nice not to have to scroll or jump all over the map in 3-d view, when a battle's strategy is a 2-d problem (like in cc).
Well, I do like tabletop-sorta games myself. Still, I don't find myself looking for this feature. With Close Combat, it wouldn't help if there were many units bunched together.

What I myself most would like, is some kind of "hide eliminated units" switch. You know, how after a battle the whole battlefield is clogged with carnage and either you can't see anything from all those "eliminated" and "abandoned" messages, or then you keep on thinking that some destroyed units are still alive (destroyed units don't have bases, but it's still hard to see esp. when I'm r-g colour blind myself). Okay, maybe destroyed tanks shouldn't be removed because they have gameplay effects.