Heiligenbeil Cauldron, Konigsburg and the Samland Peninsula

Hello everybody. What with Christmas and all I've finally had the opportunity to get stuck into CM:BB and my Ostfront reading.

I've just finished Christopher Duffy's excellent 'Red Storm on the Reich' and was wondering whether any of you educated chaps could point me in the direction of material, in English, relating to the fighting in and around the Heiligenbeil Cauldron, the fortres-city of Konigsburg or the Samland peninsula.

I was thinking about designing some scenaros around the fighting in this region, so any material, particularly maps, would be very welcome.

Oh, and a Happy New Year to you all.

Many thanks,

Justin.

There are some good books out there on Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland, who fought in this area in the last autumn/winter of the war. Helmuth Spaeter does a several-book history, which I got from Fedorowicz Publishing. Squadron/Signal has a pictorial history with plenty of pictures and maps, by Horst Scheibert. THere is some good coverage of the fighting around Memel in these books.

I have a personal interest in the fighting around Koenigsburg, but alas have not found much detailed material due to the stage of the war at that time. There is a book called Hitler's Last Bastion by Kurovitsy (very much the German sideb of things) which describes the final buttles, but unfortunately suffers somewhat in the translation. Hope that helps.

Regards

Yes, it does, thanks.

I agree, its very difficult to get information on this apsect of the war in English. I'll chase the references you gave. I've found some interesting material in Hans Holztrager's 'In a Raging Inferno: Combat Units of the Hitler Youth 1944 - 45', but its onlt a few pages (cracking photos though, including a rare one from within Konigsberg itself).

I'm also interested in the fighting around Upper Silesia during the same period. If only we had a comparable draft of Georg Gunter's 'Last Laurels' for East Prussia!

Originally posted by Nick Schieben:

There are some good books out there on Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland, who fought in this area in the last autumn/winter of the war. Helmuth Spaeter does a several-book history, which I got from Fedorowicz Publishing. Squadron/Signal has a pictorial history with plenty of pictures and maps, by Horst Scheibert. THere is some good coverage of the fighting around Memel in these books.

Regards

Check my GD site for the ISBNs of the avaialble literature on GD. Bear in mind that none of them go into the kind of detail a CM designer would need, unfortunately, though some battles are covered in almost enough detail - ie scale maps (not contoured though).

Leutnant Hortlund - I'm interested in the first seige of Koenigsburg 27th January - 26th February, particularly the attack by the German garrison of Koenigsburg (5h Pz. & 1st ID) in concert with the forces in Samland (561st VG. Div.) that reopened the land corridor with the west during the 19th and 20th February for starters :D

Anything to do with the fighting in Metgethen would be fantastic.

That would be nice :D

Well, I'm interested in the first seige of Koenigsburg 27th January - 26th February, particularly the attack by the German garrison of Koenigsburg (5h Pz. & 1st ID) in concert with the forces in Samland (561st VG. Div.) that reopened the land corridor with the west during the 19th and 20th February. I'm really after anything to do with the fighting in Metgethen. It's a novel encounter, but GD wasn't present.

Alternatively do you have any detailed maps of the area of covered by the Heiligenbeil cauldron? Didn't GD try and break into or out of this kessel?

3 german infantry regiments supported by 60 tanks attacked out from Koningsberg. 3 infantry divisions and 100 tanks attacked from the Pillau direction. Ljudnikovs front quickly crumbled. The Germans managed to capture over 150 AT guns from a single Soviet regiment. The red army units were showing signs of disorganization and chaos (the book is detailed on this subject, with several chapters covering the soviet morale that seems to have been non-existent at times when the units focused more on plunder than on waging war).

The Soviets recieved reinforcements for the specific task of counterattacking and closing the corridor. But the counterattack stalled mostly due to artillery support from German warships in the Baltic.

I just had a look a my copy of Hitler's Last Bastion again, and it's got about 15 pages on the fall of Koenigsberg. Units mentioned include the 511th Heavy Panzer Btn, 58th ID, 548th ID, 5th PD, 561st VG. The action on 20 Feb is farly scenario-inspiring.

BTW Michael, I'd only been to your GD site for CM things, but I had to take a visit after reading your posting. I must say you done some outstanding work on the Grossdeutscland info, and I will heartily recommend your site for anyone seeking information about this unit.

Regards