Fooling around with Russian artillery - question

Some the bigger caliber Russian stuff is so slow that preplanned bombardment is the only answer. This can arrive on turn 1 or any turn thereafter, and is always accurate. Takes a little guesswork as to defender's location, and timing, but can be very effective.

Well in trying it earlier in two different test scenarios, I was given the option to preplan in one, but not in the other, and I don't know why.

Does a meeting engagement, attacking, defending make any difference? I don't know why I was offered a menu choice in one scenario and not in the other. Does the type of arty make a difference. One was howitzers the other rockets.

Maybe I should go back to the manual... Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

...Does a meeting engagement, attacking, defending make any difference? Maybe I should go back to the manual...

I don't think first turn fire missions are allowed in meeting engagements.

To delay a first turn fire mission, press the "Q" key for each minute of delay you desire.

Fire missions planned on the first turn are very accurate, even if out of LOS. (the assumption is they are already ranged in, on target). This is great in low visibility conditions.

The problem is: You have to "time on target" in coordination with your attacking units.

The above recreates the inflexible conditions surrounding artillery on the Russian front.

Ken

There are no fire plans allowed in meeting engagements, so you are stuck with the full delay in those. Making the 120mm and 82mm mortars, and the 76mm modules the Russian FOs of choice. The 82s are fastest. The 120s have the best blast, and are my personal favorite in MEs.

They do have 5 minute delay, still. But if you have 2 FOs and switch off predicted enemy locations ("guessing" ahead rather than rigidly planning), that can be soon enough. Then you just walk the closer one in with the 100m "green" shifts, while retargeting the other one.

But the heavy, higher echelon Russian modules are nearly useless in MEs. The divisional 122s are pretty inflexible, but on the borderline of usable. Call them early on likely enemy targets - the delay is typically 7-8 minutes. The fight will be well under way by the time they arrive, even ordered turn 1 or 2. You wind up using them somewhat like a fire plan, with the ability to "walk" them with small adjusts. As for Russian corps and army level guns in MEs, forget it.