Map Sources... Come and get 'em designers

Back about 4 months ago, I made a trip to the Library of Congress Geography and Maps division in Washington DC.

The result is scans of the area around Leningrad, Stalingrad, Rostow and the Kertsch peninsula. The majority of these are 1:50,000 Truppenkarte (topographicals) which are, as the saying goes "Als schiesskarte geeignet!", or 'Good for shooting'.

Files are organized like:

Grid O-36-1

A B

C D

* = SCANNED, sent = well... SENT, and zip file sizes listed for compiled sets (for those with tight mailboxes)

L-37-6-A Bol.-Meschkowa

L-37-6-B Dmitrijewka

L-37-6-C Uspenskaja

L-37-6-D Kuibyscewo

*sent L-37-32-A Rostow (1.4mb)

*sent L-37-32-B Akssaiskaja (1.4mb)

*L-37-85-C Majak-Ssalyn (1.8mb)

*L-37-85-D Kertsch (2.0mb)

*L-37-97-A Marfowka

*L-37-97-B Star. Karantin

*O-35-12-A ??? (1.6mb)

O-35-12-C Djatlizy

O-35-12-D Ropscha

*O-36-1-A Strelna (1.6mb)

*O-36-1-B Leningrad (2.3mb)

*O-36-1-C Krassnoje Sselo (1.8mb)

*O-36-1-D Alekssandrowka (1.8mb)

*O-36-2-A Rshewka (1.8mb)

*O-36-2-B Newskaja Dubrowka (2.0mb)

*O-36-2-C Kolpino

O-36-2-D Nikolskoje

1:300,000 set M-38-113,114,125,126 Stalingrad

They generally come in 4 scans for each Truppenkarte, the northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest portions with overlap between each. They average between 300 and 500K per scan, and I have a total of ~ 12MB, or 32 files.

If anyone is interested, the files are now hosted on a site for FTP download. See the post below by SirReal for the addy.

[ July 05, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

One: A shameless bump.

Two: An update.

The email server at my ISP has started having fits about the sizes of the email I send... Imagine that.

I've taken SirReal up on his offer and sent out the first 4 scan collections to the ftp site he gave me.

Once I get the OK from him, I have another 7 ready to go, and still more to be scanned.

If there is a real area of interest for anyone, and you've looked at the standard scan (150dpi), I can take requests for a higher resolution scan of a specific area. The Stalingrad map (indeed, any of the town maps) would be a prime candidate for this type of treatment.

Thanks to SirReal for his assistance.

UPDATE: 11 sets are available at the link posted by SirReal above, as well as the Stalingrad city center...

[ July 04, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

I never thought Stalingrad was so small...i mean, i kinda thought it was a way bigger city. :(

I guess i might have been fooled by its grandious name and history...

Thanks Herr Oberst for emailing the first lot to me.

[ July 04, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: theike ]

Captured war material of a defunct regime?

Herr Hitler's government has nothing to say about it, and as long as you cite the Library of Congress as a source, the LOC doesn't have an issue either, at least that was what I heard from the Geography and Maps Division person when he inquired what I was going to do with all these maps from the 30's and 40's.

The only great disappointment was that the 1:25,000 maps were no longer available in the LOC's collection.

Herr Oberst,

I would be very interested in a copy of the maps covering the Volkhov river north of Novgorod. I would be VERY interested in the area around Possad, Otenskii, Udarnik, Lobkowo. The map numbers are:

0-36-51

0-36-52

0-36-40

0-36-39

I've been using some b&w copies of the beutekarten in the Spanish archives that someone lent me, but I would be grateful to have the color versions.

Btw, The area covered by the above maps was where the Spanish Blue Division fought while it stayed in the Volkhov Front

Yeah!

The idea of publishing something that would spite the reich chancellor gives me unheard of delight.

I'll be patrolling Sir Real's site for a while and then I'll put out... so to speak...

-JE

[ July 05, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Derfel ]

Thanks for the Stalingrad map you mailed me before taking Sir Real up on his offer, it was most appreciated (and I also appreciated Sir Real hosting the other maps).

Stalingrad is my main area of interest so if there is higher res scans being considered that is where my vote lies.

Thanks again! :D

[ July 05, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Crow ]

Originally posted by Fernando:

Herr Oberst,

I would be very interested in a copy of the maps covering the Volkhov river north of Novgorod. I would be VERY interested in the area around Possad, Otenskii, Udarnik, Lobkowo. The map numbers are:

0-36-51

0-36-52

0-36-40

0-36-39

I've been using some b&w copies of the beutekarten in the Spanish archives that someone lent me, but I would be grateful to have the color versions.

Btw, The area covered by the above maps was where the Spanish Blue Division fought while it stayed in the Volkhov Front

I'll have to put that on my list for the next visit to the LOC. Not quite sure when that will be. but I'll keep an eye out for that map.

(I would love to walk in with $100 on my copy card and ask for "Any captured Truppenkarte from the WWII Eastern Front." But they generally like to have map grid coords, so I'll put these on my 'list to get'). I have thought of following Grossedeutschland, and requesting all the maps from major engagements, but haven't found the time to map out all their active areas...

Danke.

[ July 05, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]