What exactly does rotate around a point actually do?

After several years of owning CMBO and now CMBB, and many sporadic bursts of experimenting, I'm now ready to admit that I haven't a clue as to what Shift-J accomplishes. Could someone explain what the difference is between having it activated and not having it activated?

I thought I had figured it out, that it meant that if you're at level one and centered on a unit, if you put the mouse cursor at the edge of the screen the view will start rotating. Fine, that is what happens in CMBB with it on. But that is not what happens in CMBO with it off, and the view seems to rotate in CMBB regardless of whether it is on or off.

So I have to conclude that it must refer to something else, and I simply don't understand what that something else is.

I will be grateful to anyone who can lessen the fog of my befuddlement.

Just got inspired and tried something different. In my version of CMBO it seems that the command doesn't work at all at level one (and maybe level two) and that all movement is around a point. when you move up to higher levels (that I don't use that much), the command seems to work backwards, but yes, I see now that there really is a difference. Not sure I have a use for it, but I'll keep experimenting.