James Lucas, "Battle Group Peiper" ...

Originally posted by Sgt AA:

Just finish the book and I'm not sure what it is that I read! :rolleyes: Is he a historican or just i fiction writer?

Can the facts in the book be thrusted, to me it seems that he made up a lot and the descripion of the characters is just too much.

Thanks in advance!

James Lucas is prolific, and produces some good stuff. He presumably counts as a "serious" historian, having been curator of photographs at the IWM or something like that. IIRC he served in the infantry in WW2, was captured in Italy, and married an Austrian woman after the war, and so has a brother-in-law who was a Fallschirmjager.

However, like you, I find it very, very hard to take "Kampfgruppe Peiper" seriously. I suspect that Mr. Lucas, imagining that all Liebstandarte vets would be as straight with him as his family-by-marriage, simply wrote down all the Sven Hassell-style stories they spun him as if they were true.

All the best,

John.

It's a load of non- historical poo - read it whilst researching Operation Peiper and it does not stack up with any accounts written by vets (both sides) or Peiper himself.

That aisde it's a reasonable fictional read in the line of Sven Hassel stuff.

Cheers fur noo

George