speed of play

I've downloaded the demo and enjoy it very much. The speed of play is a bit of a concern to me, though. Before I buy the game, is the speed of the game faster than that of the demo? My machine is not the limiting factor. Thanks, in advance, for the info.

"Speed between turns?" You mean the calculations that the AI runs then. Right?

That might depend on a number of things. The size of the scenario/game, the number of units on the field, and their activity at that moment. Also, I've noted over the years in CMBO/CMBB both that when Arty spotters are targeting, it tends to add a lot to the AI calculation routine. And finally, what type of processor chip your using in your PC.

So I guess the answer is it depends. But yes the calculations can and sometimes do take a little while.

well it is not a first person shooter thats for sure.

I think the game itself is about %10 faster than the demo but that is ONLY a guess

there are two slow things in between turns

the Computer has to "think" of its move.

and then the CPU has to "crunch" the turn

(the crunch is the dark blue line going across as the action and combat resolution is computed)

the "crunch" is usually the longer phase.

the REAL game won't be all that much quicker

unless you play someone in TCP/IP and set the timer to 1-3 minutes, if they have a faster computer than you they will do the "crunch" and the turns will be somewhat quicker then...

ok? smile.gif

Good luck

btw how do you like the game?

-tom w

[ February 21, 2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

CMBB's a bit more like chess than tennis. You get time to sit and think between turns, and so does your opponent. I know shooter game players who still haven't got used to it.

If you're fighting a half dozen tanks against a half dozen tanks (for instance) in a small scenario the 'thinking process' skips along nicely. If you're fighting infantry battallions in dense fog it'll require a bit more patience to play.

thanks for the information - my computer is fast, P4 with 512mb of RAM -

So far I am enjoying the game, although the learning curve is a bit slow - I didn't expect it to be a shooter, but I guess I didn't realize the scenaios would take as long as they do - that's a bit frustrating for me when I typically play for no longer that 15-30 minutes at a setting

one final question - how quick if shipping the game? - if I would order online from the US this weekend, when would I expect to get the games?