Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Newbie Armour Question

Hi Everyone.

I just bought this game a couple of week's ago,

and it is taking up all my spare time.

Anyway, I have a question about armour penetration in the game. Is it possible for any

of the Soviet tank guns (ie 122mm or 100mm) to penetrate the frontal armour of the Tiger II? I read a test that said the turret armour could be penetrated out to 1000m. However, in a recent battle, I got between 10 and 15 hits on the turret front from about 100 to 200m, many of them perpendicular, with no penetrations, not even partial. Is the game modelled so that a frontal penetration of the Tiger II is impossible?

Thanks to all those who reply.

Ok - I get 185mm at 10 degrees for the Tiger II turret and 182 mm at 0 degrees at 100m for the 122mm of the IS -2 . That explains why the shots were all bouncing.

I guess my new question is whether the modelling in the game is correct, or are the tests that I have seen flawed in some way. I think they were from the Russian Battlefield site. Pentetrations at 1000m vs none at 100m is a pretty big discrepency.

Thanks for your response flamingknives.

Kingtiger actually has only 90% quality armour, so it just might be possible. And in any case it might be possible to achieve a weak spot penetration (or gun and track damage), but you're really playing a Russian roulette if you need to rely on that to happen. Rather just use smoke to blind it and try to flank it with T-34's if possible.

When everything else fails, CHAAAARGE!!!!

Thanks Sergei,

I realized attacking those King Tigers from the front wouldn't be the best idea after my first few IS2's got an 88mm through the turret front.

dieseltaylor - interesting comment about spalling. I don't think any of my turret hits on the KTs caused this, but I can't say for sure. I do know that several times my IS2's got non penetrating hits to the font hull which caused armour flaking. Does the chance of armour spalling depend only on the type/thicknes/quality of armour, or also on the size/weight of the projectile? Does it mention anything about this in your book?

Thanks in advance.