What does "VT" mean

Not to mention the much greater difficulty in setting burning versus mechanical fuses. I believe there was once a position known as "fuse-cutter" in AAA batteries. Although eventually all he did was turn a dial on a mechanical fuse -- until proximity fuses for AAA became widespread.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Never looked into the fuze mechanism of bouncing shells, I'm not an artilleryman (which explains why I am asking in the first place). I seem to recall that a tube of some kind was used in these things? Isn't there always a tube of some kind.

AIUI, the 'bouncing' mortar bombs used a small point detonating explosive charge to launch the shell back into the air and start a delay fuse.</font>

Standard Rückstoßladung shells of mortars 8cm and up, including rocket artillery, (but couldn't find anything on barrel-arty) were issued from 1944 and on and bounced 1 to 5 meters up in the air if ground conditions permitted use. They could not be used on rock solid surface, nor mud or snow. Wether they actually bounced or were fired by a secondary charge I don't know. On the breakdown drawing I can only make out a cylindrical shape labelled fuze, of unknown material and content. I chose to call it tube, sorry if that upset people. You can call it ball, sphere, nut or whatever you feel you can accept.

Myself I feel Foreigner, DrD and Tar offered very interesting reflection that seems to explain why these shells probably did not match mechanical fuzes in efficiency. My question is thus answered.

Over and out.

Dandelion