AAR - feedback please !

I have just posted an AAR here ....CMBB War Diary .

It is my first AAR and I'd appreciate some feedback on the format and also on the battle, in particular the setup.

I have tried to keep the pics small enough to load easily but with enough detail .. let me know if they are too slow ! (its hard to tell on broadband )

Please try and judge the setup in the way we all have to do them ... with EFOW and without the benefit of hindsight ! Its much easier to spot the mistakes after the fighting is over !

The CMBB AAR with scores has not been included as it doesnt give a fair reflection of the majority of the battle ... but if people would rather see it then I can add it at the end.

WARNING ! The battle is hardcampa's HC-Clear Winter Days and may act as a spoiler !

Originally posted by Panzer76:

I liked the pictures, well made. It's clear that you've put down some effort in this. I found the comments pretty good, but perhaps a bit short. What really misses, is comments from the enemy commander. I think that's a must in every AAR.

All in all, a good AAR.

Lou,

I'd like to second the above, well done!

But, as P76 stated, the enemy commanders' thoughts would be most welcome.

Again, well done!

KC

Hi Lou,

Love the War Diary. Well written, informative and well laid out and presented. When I eventually get this AAR-Tactics site up and running I'd love to have your AAR's on board.

Only criticism....you've gone to a lot of trouble to make your AAR maps look like their from the period and to a large extent this works. However the page curl effect while good, is spoilt a little by using it on three corners and using an unrealistic gold colour for the reverse. Sorry if my small criticism is too picky..but you did ask for feedback

Idea: For the screenshots, in addition to making them look like period pics why not substitute the page curl effect for **more** of a photo effect i.e. white border and they lil photo corner things..dunno what they're called..just shootin' off the top of my head

All said though 12 out of 10. Look forward to seeing more

Kindest Regards

MG-42

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I found the comments pretty good, but perhaps a bit short.
Actually the original version was longer and I cut it back as I thought I was putting in too much detail.

There wasnt really anthing major that was cut ... just a few additional explanations of why I did certain actions ... (Like always expecting to see a KV !) Maybe I'll leave them in next time. Oh yeah and a few extra 'crew comments' :rolleyes:

What really misses, is comments from the enemy commander. I think that's a must in every AAR.

I agree. There is an AAR for the other side of this battle, if it gets posted to the web I'll add a link to it.

However the page curl effect while good, is spoilt a little by using it on three corners and using an unrealistic gold colour for the reverse. Sorry if my small criticism is too picky..but you did ask for feedback

Not too picky at all ... I had reservations about using it on the finnished AAR, but as I had all the images already done, I used them rather than re-do them again.

I may try the photo-corners, but as I'm no grapics artist if I cant get it right in a few mouse clicks .... then I'll probably skip it.

Thats part of the reason the pics look as they do ... the process of converting them in Paintshop Pro was very easy .... 'colorize' and just set the right Hue and Saturation values - Thats it ! But I agree with the 'overuse' of the curled corners.

When I eventually get this AAR-Tactics site up and running I'd love to have your AAR's on board.

Thanks .... no problem as long as it's made clear that they are NOT a tactics guide ;) . I got lucky playing a scenario that suited the defender ... the others may make sorry reading :D

All the comments are welcome and I'll keep them in mind as I do others. Thanks !

I was the first to see this gem. Unfortunately I had to suffer the unmitigated disaster that constitutes its subject as well redface.gif .

I did my side of the story, which is not quite finished yet. I'm knocking together a very similar kind of site to what Lou is doing, but like many suggest I want to put both sides of the battle up.

I love reading AAR's and enjoyed yours very much. I agree with previous posters that it's good to be able to read the other commander's view. However, I don't think it's mandatory. I kinda like the different take on the one-sidedness of this AAR. I enjoyed that I didn't know what the Russian was going to do and could feel the tension as I read on. This is why more detail would have made the AAR (story) that much better. I liked the pics. Thanks for the read.