Cold weather effects on AP ammo...modeled?

Just finished a game where my t-34 m43's lasted extra extra long for some reason (they usually tend to die kinda quickly). There were a lot of ricochets, from both 50mm long and 75mm short shots. Ranges were 500m or less.

Weather was freezing.

Would freezing conditions have anything to do with shell break up/ricochet upon impact? Or was I just especially lucky this time?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks!

[ May 24, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: leakyD ]

I doubt. If they did, they'd have to put the same effect onto armour, and make a difference between normal AP and and Tungsten shots as they're made of different metals. Even more importantly, muzzle velocities reduce, while in hot climate it might increase. And that all is something there is hardly any data available, so they would just end up guessing.

To find out, you'll need to set up a test shooting range scenario, first run it in freezing, then in normal weather.

Ok, ran some tests, and...

the T-34m43 is a superior tank "frontally" in early 1943 against axis armor (well, anything under 75 longs).

weather effects on AP was inconsistent, leading me to believe there is no difference w. modeling.

smile.gif

[ May 24, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: leakyD ]

One of the interesting things about the T34 penetration resistance is that most people disagree.

The Mr. Potapov who runs the Russian Battlefield site saw a Russian firing trial where 75L43 APCBC blew through the T34 front hull at 1000m with a 30 degree angle from gun to hull facing.

One of the 1942 reports in Jentz' Panzertruppen Volume I has 75L43 penetrating T34 at 1200m at any angle, and 1600m max.

And then there are the reports from German generals where 75mm L46 Pak hits bounce beyond 1000m, and combats where 75L43 won't penetrate beyond 1000m.

All of this kinda makes one wonder one was happning.

Was it crummy ammo? Krypnotite in the armor? A bad hair day? Very wide side angles on the shots? Some of the T34 had extra plates welded on the front hull which were not noticed by the panzertruppen?

Past arguments speculated that the Americans not only built Russian armor factories before WW II started under the guise of installing tractor plants, but sold the Russians several shiploads of armor steel which found its way into some of the T34.

Typical high hardness plates for 45mm front hull on T34 would be an easy target at 1000m and could be blown through at 1600m max.

Medium hardness armor of so-so quality, like American plates, might stop 75mm APCBC beyond 1000m.

Miles Krogfus found that German projectile nose hardness varied from 57 to 69 Rockwell C Hardness, where the middle would be 63 Rockwell C.

75mm APCBC at the lower end of the hardness range could penetrate quite a bit less than the average round.

So, in summary, from what I've read it would be realistic if T34's were not the same all the time.