CMBB Fans who plan to play CMSF?

JK - Personally I see no issues of balkanization. I play CMBB the most because it is the subject that interests me the most. I don't even play CMAK very much these days. It is a fine game in every respect, and occasionally I do, but then I get interested in another bit about the war in the east and happily dive back into BB. And spend months there without looking at another game. (Only other things I play occasionally are Total War and some old Napoleonics. And a few "light" econ games). When/if I get CMC too, I know it will take lots of my (limited) gaming time.

Frankly BTS's problem is they make games so much better than anything else offered, that one sale gives me more good gaming than I have time to indulge. I love 'em for it, but as a business model replay value has its drawbacks. I hope the fans it draws and the extra value people get from their freely given efforts, helps enough to make up for that. I think it has for the CM series so far.

Originally posted by JasonC:

JK -

Frankly BTS's problem is they make games so much better than anything else offered, that one sale gives me more good gaming than I have time to indulge. I love 'em for it, but as a business model replay value has its drawbacks. I hope the fans it draws and the extra value people get from their freely given efforts, helps enough to make up for that. I think it has for the CM series so far.

Hence the reason why BTS has decided to take the modular approach with the new CM. While as BTS has already stated this will still allow for good gameplay we won't be spoilt as previoulsy and will probably spend 3-6 months on each module prior to purchasing the next one available.

However everyone has their own way of prolonging the length of any game and I'm sure we'll still enjoy each module as much as (the full blown CM) so to speak. :D

Yes well, the downside of slicing the game up into thinner and thinner slices in the hopes that sales multiply, is that not everyone who would be interested in the whole, will want each individual slice. You pay your money and you take your choice. Neither method is foolproof.

In my case, sliced thin enough that it is only about contemporary small unit ops US vs. irregulars, I'm not that interested. I might look at a demo. The issue is that new games compete not just with other offerings by lesser game companies, but with CMBB, for my gaming time. The scarce factor is playing time, not novelty.

Originally posted by JasonC:

The issue is that new games compete not just with other offerings by lesser game companies, but with CMBB, for my gaming time.

Indeed correct! So the only game I can think of buying for the moment is an improved CMBB. tongue.gif