Of Sparkly Tree bases and CM Mods

Salute all!

I'm a long time CMBO and CMBB player, and just bought the CMBO-SE, mostly for kicks but also to have all the new scenarios et al in one location.

Couple of questions: 1)Tree bases have always been my one pet peevee, and in the past I've pulled them into Photoshop to get them the way I like them. In an effort to avoid this, could someone point me in the direction of some good, subdued tree bases? The defaults are too bright for my taste. 2)I really like the way CMBB looks. Are the grass, trees, and tree bases the same shape as in CMBO? Can I just swap textures out of CMBB?

Regards, and good hunting!

A fellow scale modeler? If I could use my airbrush.... smile.gif

As regards tree bases, I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone felt the same way I did, and what mod did they use? Juju has done some great work, and naturally I've installed MadMatt's mods, and Juju's, but I'm just trying to find that perfect blend.

[ June 10, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Von Fauster ]

You can use the CMBB bmps, at least to a very large extent. They even correspond in file numbers most of the time. But not all of the time so you can't copy all of it without checking first.

I changed many back again though, including most of the treebases. It simply does not look very Normandy you know. Normandy in summer is lush green, almost unnatural like bright green, with rich undergrowth often in equally bright green or autumnish reds. And black soil. I still have neither found nor been able to mod anything that very much looks like the real thing. Still working on it.

Have been since CMBO release :(

Most CMBB trees look great though.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Dandelion:

...It simply does not look very Normandy you know. Normandy in summer is lush green, almost unnatural like bright green, with rich undergrowth often in equally bright green or autumnish reds. And black soil. I still have neither found nor been able to mod anything that very much looks like the real thing. Still working on it.

Thanks Dandelion. Very nice description of Normandy. I had no idea it was that green. I guess in my mind's eye I've been seeing old WWII movies and SPR's washed out footage and trying to replicate that. I appreciate the input.

Dandelion is absolutely right about Normandy and its rich, vibrant colors. The same applies further up the coast heading towards Calais. If I am not mistaken, this area gets a lot more annual rainfall than many locales in Russia. I haven't been to Russia, but I have been to almost all of the Eastern European countries. The only countries that could rival France in its landscape brightness are the Baltic States and Romania. Hungary gave me the impression of yellow and brown--probably from all of that wheat growing everywhere. Consequently, I think the BFC guys did the right thing by toning down the brightness in CMBB. It looks--and "feels" right.

I'm not a travel agent but I do recommend travelling to France and visiting the many WWII battlefields.

If I'd could, I'd buy a retirement home in the Ardennes--it's that pretty.

That makes sense tooz. And I didn't think of the fact that maybe what I'm trying to replicate is my OWN exprience with trees and brush- instead of an accurate portrayal of Normandy/Europe. We get a fair amount of rainfall here in the Pacific Northwest, but even with that I've never considered the vegitation to be very "bright"- could be the predominately grey skies, or the difference in soil. Combat Mission: Portland! Ha!

Anyway, I'm going to revisit what WWII color footage I have (WWII in Color, WWII In Color: Lost Archives, Mein Krieg, etc) and rethink exactly what "shade" of Europe I'm looking for. Hope to actually see those battlefields someday.

Speaking of which, I know that Steve and Charles et al., put a ferocious amount of research in to both CM's. Did they get a chance to actually visit some of the battlefields?

Looking at initial graphics, studies of localities must have been made in one way or the other. Some houses are typical Normandy architecture in appearance, if not shape. A problem here is that architecture from the whole stretch - Normandy to Hamburg - has been used. So it looks a little circusish to see them all on the same map.

Shape of houses is a real problem. In terms of making things look real.

A regional mod that I find very nice in fact is the "Ardennes" mod available. Studying it bit by bit I wasn't that enthusiastic, but now I find it does manage to create a very nice overall impression when applied as a whole. Made me start up some Ardennes scenarios just to watch smile.gif

Regards

Dandelion

Just an FYI to those who have posted or read this thread: I found what I was looking for I think... I reinstalled from the retail disk (as opposed to my older internet purchased disk) and then came to the conclusion that the terrain looks quite good straight from that disk! (Slaps head like Homer, "Doh!"). The tree bases and grass go quite nicely together. It's probably not as bright as Normandy is reality, but I really don't want it that bright anyway. Now I'm just selectively tweaking the objects I want to tweak and happy as a clam to be playing both Western and Eastern Front battles again. Now if we could just get North Africa/Italy.... ;) Great job BTS.

[ June 11, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Von Fauster ]

Yes Ales, thanks. I'm just so amazed I didn't already have this link. It will take me ages to test all these mods out smile.gif Well a few of the variants I do recognise, they must have been up at some other site before.

Fortunately, the wife is at a party tonight so I suddenly have some time to spare...

Hrm. Hope she doesn't meet some guy who don't own CMBO. Well, if she does, I'll just send him a copy and that'll be the end of that smile.gif

Regards

Dandelion