An idea for 3d Models in the next CM game..

BTS/BFC might want to take a look at how the

Australian Software company, Auran, is handling

add-ons for their train simulator, Trainz.

What they do is provide you with a plug-in for the

free 3D modelling software, GMax and they allow

you to import your own 3D models into the game.

This format could be adopted for the next CM

game, allowing us modders to pack much more detail

into Combat Mission than the time-constrained 3D

modellers at BTS/BFC could (hey, when you have

several HUNDRED vehicles to model...)

You might ask, how can BTS/BFC retain control

of their intellectual copyrights (the 3D models)

if the end-users can add models to the game?

Simple. You do it like Auran, and make the 3D

models that come with the game encrypted six ways to sunday so no one could steal your hard work.

A simple Models.ini file could control the

process of picking models for the game, such

as:

M4A3: Default

M4A2: M4A2.gmx

Whereas "default" tells the game to load the

encrypted 3d model that came with the game,

and M4A2.gmx tells the game to load the user-created GMax model...

Your comments?

We've already looked into this briefly and adding support for it isnt a simple process, so it would probably be at the expense of other features. On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but I beleive that discreet wants cash from you if you make your game GMAX ready. We will look into it futher when the time is right, but if that is the case its a no go.

Dan

[ March 09, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Bummer,

What tools are currently used to make the models if I may ask? I could imagine you guys releasing the exporter and then people lucky enuff to have that software could at least contribute (assuming the models were broken out as individual files).

I'm sure there's issues with this as well, but I imagine having the process be exporter based (no importer) could at least keep the models that ship with the game from being 'stolen' (though what you'd do with a set of realtime tank models is beyond me!)

My background in 3D modelling comes from using CAD packages like Solidworks and SolidEdge. I have seen how tedious and time consuming 3D modelling can be. I have also seen how very experienced and skilled users can not only slash days/weeks on 3D modelling projects, but also save those less skilled much stress and frustration. It is only a means to an ends and should be done with the minimum of fuss to achieve the end result.

The process of making 100's of 3D models of vehicles and equipment for a game like CM is not really what I think a game company like BTS is about or what I would call their "core business". The 3D models serve no other purpose but to represent something in a 3D virtual world and look good for the gamer. The 3D models are just "eye candy" and separate from the actual game mechanics. BTS are experts at developing the actual game mechanics that the 3D models live in, and (from what I understand) are not experts in the actual creation of 3D models themselves. The more BTS are able to focus on the actual game design and mechanics, without having to worry about the angle of the front hull of a T34-85 in the 3D model, the better it will be for CM and ultimately for us gamers.

This is why I too would think that open sourcing the 3D models in future CM releases could possibly free up and focus BTS's development and improvement of the CM game engine and mechanics itself. It could even be critical for the future development and advancement of the CM series. The whole concept of 3D modelling objects is totally divorced from what makes the CM series such a great game that it would be a tragedy if resources that would otherwise be focused on game engine and game feature development are redirected to the tiresome, repetitive and tedious task of 3D modelling WW2 vehicles. It really is a distraction from the work which actually improves and progresses the CM series as a whole.

As Phil has mentioned, Oleg Maddox, creator of IL2/FB, is using this exact philosophy and he is not short of 3D modellers to help develop the stunning 3D models you see in the game. I’m sure if BTS were to develop the next CM release with 3rd party 3D model import capability, then the CM game we would actually see could quite literally be years ahead of what it would be otherwise.

Which leads me to another question: Has BTS got the personnel, structure and resources to physically develop the next generation in the CM series, one that we all have the greatest expectations for?

Lt Bull