Free video capture tool

This is probably old news, but I stumbled on a free tool that can capture the screen as a video including speaker sound. It has a fair number of options.

I tested it with a full turn replay and it ended up as a 36Mb avi file, but about 25% of that can be removed as it contains leadtime while I switched over to CMBB. Unfortunately my PC is too slow to play it back without stuttering, but I'm fairly sure the quality is OK.

Sorry again if this isn't really interesting. I thought it might be for some people. CM does offer some truly "captivating" moments during playback at times.

The link: http://www.brothersoft.com/Multimedia_Graphics_Screen_Capture_CamStudio_3944.html

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

I tested it with a full turn replay and it ended up as a 36Mb avi file, but about 25% of that can be removed as it contains leadtime while I switched over to CMBB. Unfortunately my PC is too slow to play it back without stuttering, but I'm fairly sure the quality is OK.

Hmmm... 36Mb for 1minute of avi? What resolution? With sound? If your PC can run CMBB, I'm pretty sure it can show a 36Mb avi movie without stuttering. I suspect your frame rate might have dropped under 20fps while filming however, or that the settings for the recorder were set to low.

Can you host the movie somewhere so I can look at it?

-Alech

I just used FRAPS to capture 1minute of my Tigers advancing under artillery fire.

At 30fps, with sound, at 640x512 resolution, the file ended up over 140Mb. Kind of cool to watch though. tongue.gif

Edit: Compressing the thing helps a bit though. Doh! Standard DivX drops it down to a nice 17Mb, but there is a loss in quality, ofc.

-Alech

[ July 24, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Alech ]

Hi again, Alech. I'm a complete newbie at this, so I sort of ran a risk posting this. I just thought it might be of interest.

Yes, I can probably host that file temporarily. I'll take that up with you on MSN or email. It is an avi file - I simply installed CamStudio and hit Record to see what would happen. Later I found some settings, e.g. framerate, in CamStudio. As I said, I'm a newbie at this.

Thought so. Try FRAPS. But remember to compress the file with "VirtualDub" or something.

If this is something you want to play around with I can give you a walkthrough and links for the right software. Also, what are your system specs?

-Alech

Thanks, Alech, but I just got carried away upon seeing that link to CamStudio. I don't really want to go deeper into this at the moment. Perhaps later, when I have upgraded (whenever that will be).

For the record:

P3/550, 256MB RAM, Win XP Pro, Creative 32MB TNT2 graphics card, Sound Blaster Live sound card. I think that covers the stuff that's interestering in this case.

Originally posted by HarryInk:

Anyone know of a Mac program to do same?

*LMAO* As if Macs would have such a thing...

SnapzPro is a useful app for OS 9 for capturing movies, costs though and I can't see any freeware software for movie capturing

There is a version of SnapzPro for OSX as well.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

For the record:

P3/550, 256MB RAM, Win XP Pro, Creative 32MB TNT2 graphics card, Sound Blaster Live sound card. I think that covers the stuff that's interestering in this case.

Wow... That's a pretty old machine. Nicely put together though, but I'll try to hurry with that guestimate for an upgrade we talked about.

TNT2... *checks spare parts drawer* Hehe, I still have 1 of those as an antique.

-Alech