APBC effectiveness in 1.03

Has anyone checked in the game whether the recent tweaks to the armour penetration model, while increasing realism for early war matchups, actually resulted in questionable modelling of the late war engagements?

I'm mainly thinking about the apparent advantage of the 100mm AP round with respect to the 122mm APBC round against sloped armour (e.g. the Panther's glacis).

The numbers in the info box seems to suggest this, but I'm aware that the game model is too complex to be reduced to that table, and a host of factors are taken into account when calculating actual armour penetration.

Thus, did anyone notice something about this 100mm vs. 122m issue? (The truth is that I'm too lazy to setup a test range and have a SU-100 and an ISU-122 shoot up an ammoless Panther, so I'm hoping that someone already did this :D )

Amedeo

That's something I keep wondering about, too. Of course, both the 100mm and 122mm rounds do pretty well vs. Panthers in 1945, as far as I can tell. But what about which really is better against German heavy tanks? I have done some testing in 1.02 with SU100s and ISU122s vs. King Tigers and Panthers in 1945 to find out which round was better. At rather long ranges, ca. 500 to 1000 m, the 122m round had a better chance of killing the both, according to the kill chance stated by the game when I targeted the cats. But I haven't tried this with 1.03, yet. Some info would be nice.

On a side note, does anyone know if these penetration values are really correct? Those 122mm rounds weigh about 25 kg, or 50 pounds. I just can't believe that a steel plate, even one half a feet thick, can withstand these monsters. Especially as the muzzle velocity isn't exactly low.

In v1.02 I did run myself a few tests and, indeed, the 122mm APBC round (the late war BR-471B) was able to smash trough Panther glacis at ranges in excess of 2000m (well, at least against flawed armour).

The present evidence from historical documents and modern 'speculation' (i.e. ballistic calculations) is that the 122mm APBC round should be more effective than the 100mm plain AP against sloped armour plates, so I hope that the game engine didn't accidentally change this in its final incarnation.

Regards,

Amedeo