Is this use of human wave gamey?

It was just a coincidence i found out about this and i guess it IS gamey:

Lets say i have my russian MP company and i want them doing a human wave from point A to B.

Now if i issue the 'normal' command, the 'human wave' wil be turned into a 'run' command after a few meters.

Like this:

humanwave010fz.th.jpg

Okay, so far so good, so normal, but during my last PBEM game, it happend to me that i issued one platoon to human wave outside the map. What i noticed was, that the issued 'human wave' will not turn into 'run' anymore while they swarm across the map.

So if i want my men to 'wave' against a position 'b', i can simply order them to do it outside the map, but now in the constellation, that their way will lead through the position 'B'. This way i can be sure they will not start running, but 'wave' until they reach point B. After that, i can cancel the command and give new orders.

humanwave029cu.th.jpg

Is this an exploit? I guess...

Is it gamey? I guess...

But what would you think, say and do if someone would try this in a battle against you?

All the best: GAGA

[ December 03, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: GAGA Extrem ]

Originally posted by GAGA Extrem:

Maybe i got this wrong, but doesn't give 'human wave' a noticeable morale boost?

Yeah they do a get a small morale boost. I think the actual morale boost comes at the run phase of the order, not sure though, i could be wrong.

Nonetheless, either way, i don't consider it gamey at all. Your infantry will take much more casualties doing the "human wave" rather than a "move" or "advance" order. Since they'll be a little more reluctant to hit the deck and sneak to cover when they probably should so earlier.

I have noticed that the litte terrain-and-activity picture on the bottom of the screen reads "human wave" even as the men have moved into the run-segment of the wave-order.

This would support MeatEtrĀ“s suggestion that the morale boost comes there.

An experiment could consist of firing on various groups of waveing troops to see weather they pin down easier in the wave-segment or the run-segment.

[ December 06, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Mejsel ]

Hmmm. I don't remember being able to cancel a human wave attack. Its been a while, I must admit.

Once I set a Human Wave with a 60+ second delay and was unable to cancel it. My opponent bombarded the church they were destined for. My Wave got there just in time for it to collapse on them. I saw that it was going to happen but couldn't cancel the command. Lucky me...