Tank comparison

I'm really having trouble knowing how tanks actually compare to one another. I have a pretty good idea about the U.S. v. German tanks, but when it comes to the Soviets, I'm almost clueless.

Is there anywhere where I can find a chart or a comparison of tanks. I.E. "The Sherman is pretty equal to the PzIV" or "These tanks can knock a Tiger out"?

Thanks.

Hmm, alot of these comparisions depend on the time period you are talking about, and the features which you are comparing. Also keep in mind that the Germans had many, many variants of tanks, making this a big subject, but I'll try my best to give you my general understanding of it. I encourage everyone else to fill in anything I've missed.

German vs. Soviet Tanks: A Comparison of Design Features, Armor, Armament

Armored Fighting Vehicles:

Design Features:

An often overlooked consideration when assessing the relative strength of armored forces is taking into account how well the tanks are designed. On a real battlefield, there is much more to tank warfare than armor thickness and gun caliber. In general, I would say that German tanks are very well designed. They were equipped with radios throughout the war, giving them better command and control than Soviet tanks for some time into the campaign. They have exceptional optics, giving them unparalleled spotting and targeting capability. Many of the lighter German tanks have excellent all around visibility, due to a number of periscope type devices located around the tank.

As far as the crew compliment is concerned, many German tanks, unlike their early war Soviet counterparts, had enough crew members to manage a complex fighting vehicle efficiently. A lot of the smaller early war Soviet light tanks, which they had in unbelievable numbers, were undermanned, and had 2 or 3 crewmembers doing the job of 4 or 5 people.

From mid war on, many German AFVs also have special defensive features such as Zimmerit, an anti-magnetic paste meant to stop hand held infantry mines, Schürzen, or “skirts” (the word actually means aprons; “der Rock” is a skirt) which greatly help in defending against hollow charge weapons such as the US Bazooka, the British PIAT, and various Russian AT shells fired from some of the heavier guns. Some German AFVs also had a device called a Nahverteidungswaffe, which was effectively a short range mortar and smoke discharger.

Armor:

German AFVs used mainly faced-hardened, rolled steel armor that was of much higher quality than the cast-type armor found on some enemy vehicles. As a general rule of thumb, German tanks with armor of the same thickness and angle as a Soviet tank will have greater survivability against comparable projectiles. This will change a bit later on as the quality of German manufacturing decreases, but I think you will find that well hardened German armor greatly contributes to the number of shells that break up on impact.

Armament:

Although many tanks that participated in Barbarossa were hopelessly outgunned as they were equipped with the outdated 37mm gun, it is my firm opinion that the German army, from 1942 on, has a considerably advantage in armament. They consistently have superior ammunition, and are consistently able to achieve one-shot-kills against the more common Soviet AFVs.

KEEP IN MIND, that the greatest strength of Soviet AFVs is their vast numerical superiority. While they may not always stack up well in a one-on-one fight, this isn’t normally a problem, as a German commander is always lucky to fight at 1vs.1 odds.

If you think it’d be helpful, I can try to list the more common German and Soviet AFVs and juxtapose them directly.

Wow, thanks. Please do list some, have you got the time.

Btw, I almost always play scenarios or campaign, so in CMBB I've found it really hard to take advantage of any numerical superiority, even though I know that was a fact IRL.

Pz.Kpfw I – A very light tank armed only with a machinegun, originally intended only for training purposes. Was pressed into service several times, and was present, but not common, during the initial stages of Barbarossa. Use only against infantry and other soft targets. When attacking treat it as little more than a tracked armored car or heavy halftrack.

Variants:

Panzer Jäger I – 37mm or 47mm AT gun atop Pz. I chassis. Effective against light tanks.

150mm Infantry Gun (Sturmpanzer I) – a mobile artillery conversion, used for direct fire support. Effective against soft targets, vehicles, and many tanks. Very vulnerable to enemy fire.

Pz.Kpfw II—A very quick light tank armed with the 20mm L/55 automatic cannon. Good for suppressing infantry, vehicles and many early war light tanks. Susceptible to enemy fire, including the weaker 47mm Russian AT guns.

Variants:

Flammenpanzer II: Basically a Pz. II with a flamethrower instead of the 20mm cannon. Effective against infantry, buildings and also armor, if you can get close enough. In tests I was able to “cook off” heavy tanks such as the KV I and KV II with no problem

Marder II: The 75mm L/46 atop the Pz. II chassis. Use to destroy all varieties of Russian armor, but use extreme discretion when attacking heavier models. Vulnerable to enemy fire.

Pz. Kpfw. III – light/medium tank, depending on model. Originally armed with the inadequate 37mm cannon, the Pz.III is nevertheless a very capable and well built tank. The version with the 50mm L/60 is well matched with most enemy tanks prior to 1943, and with tungsten ammunition can challenge even heavier adversaries.

Variants:

Sturmgeschütz III – Assault gun/tank destroyer. A very widely manufactured series of vehicles which are essentially well armored gun platforms without a turret. Although they are not as nimble as tanks, they are generally well armored, have a low silhouette and are effective against infantry and armor alike. Very common.

Pz. Kpfw IV—Originally conceived as a sort of support tank, the first Pz.IVs were equipped with a short barrel 75mm L/24 cannon best used against infantry and softer vehicles. As the war progressed the Mk. IV came into its own as a main battle tank, and although consistently under armored, proved to be an effective weapon. Use short barreled versions as described above. The up gunned version with the L/48 cannon can be used effectively against most armor.

Pz. Kpfw. V “Panther” – A medium/heavy tank first used in 1943. The Panther, if used correctly is one of the most powerful tanks on the battlefield. It has sloped armor, and a heavily reinforced front gun mantle, making it very difficult to kill from the front. A design flaw however, makes it susceptible to fire from the side. It has a very powerful 75mm L/71 which can easily kill most tanks and has a good chance against the heaviest Russian armor. Be sure to always keep it facing the enemy.

Pz. Kpfw. VI “Tiger” – A heavy tank introduced in the late summer / early fall of 1942. Armed with the excellent 88mm L/56 the Tiger has a comfortable advantage over enemy tanks until 1944, and from then on is still a formidable opponent. Be wary of its high ground pressure which will cause it to bog is all but the firmest ground.

Pz. Kpfw. VI B “King Tiger” – Although fairly rare, if you are fortunate enough to have one, the King Tiger is one of the most powerful weapons on the battlefield. Extremely well armored, with the incredibly powerful 88mm L/71, the King Tiger, in my experience is immune to enemy fire at ranges exceeding 400m. Again, do whatever you can to keep it from bogging down, and carefully control its fire so that you don’t needlessly expend valuable ammunition on low-threat targets.

I'll try to talk about some Russian tanks as well as the many German tank destroyers a bit later.