Effectiveness of binocular, long-range etc optics

British tanks usually had excellent turret traverse mechanisms, almost always powered, so there should be no real reason why they should be any slower in fine adjusment. In fact, that was the only area where British tanks consistantly outperformed German ones.

The vertical gun laying in early British tanks is a manual operation - the gun is balanced about the trunions and all elevation control is carried out by the gunner moving his shoulder. The upside of this is that the gun has a crude stabiliser for firing on the move. The downside is that firing when stationary is much less accurate at long range.

I was just using the Valentine as an example as I thought that if you have a fast hydraulic motor but have to do the final adjustment by a hand wheel then this final adjustment might take more time to do compared to a system as in the Tiger where the turret "slows down" when roughly pointing towards the target and is then moved right on the target.

What I am talking about is those extra 2 seconds that a system like the one used in the Valentine might cause (IF it does cause an extra delay). Just moving your hand from the grip used to control the hydraulics to the handwheel takes time.

How about other tanks - were there significant differences that made it easier and faster to aim the gun of a tank?

Turret speed and optics are taken in account in the game, but the mechanics of laying the gun and their handling is another point on how fast you can aim your gun and get the first shot out I would think.

While Valentine is hands for rotating the turret and shoulders for elevation and Tiger is feet for rotation with hands most probably for elevation (I am guessing here), what would other tanks use? Instead of shoulders in particular? Feet/hand combo as well?

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

regarding testing and having non-moving targets: i usually KO the target tanks before starting the actual tests. that way you can be sure that the targets won't be moving or rotating, and you can control the test fire much better.

Interesting idea. I thought about deploying IS-3s without ammo on unpassable grounds but I don't know whether I should try that outat all since it seems that even the difference between the best and the worst German optics is there, but too small to measure accurately with small tests I had in mind.