Should I be afraid of CMAK? A suggestion.

I'm just upset that I picked an AMD processor instead of an Intel P4. It seems like AMD XP's are at a standstill while Intel P4's are continuing to get faster. I think AMD is concentrating on their Opteron line or something. Now, even if I had the cash to upgrade in a year or so, I have to think about a new motherboard that supports my existing RAM and is an Intel P4 board. Uh-yuh-yuh!

It is a bit of a headache and a wallet ache to keep up with this stuff sometimes. I;m sure someone if not Battlefront will come out with the low-res mods and as others have already posted, the tree toggle, etc. will most likely be there as well.

I've gotta start saving my lunch money for an Intel P4 board and processor. :(

I think the AthlonXP line has reached it's limts, too, but I still bought one. :D I think the AthlonXPs will still have quite good value for about another year, in fact. Most PCs sold today are still in the 2.0-2.6GHz range (quite a few Celerons, which means only about 66% performance of an equivalent P4).

Actually, if you'd decide to switch to a P4 soon, you can most likely still use your current RAM, since motherboards for both CPUs support the same kinds of memory. AFAIK, the only RAM you might be stuck with is RDRAM (Rambus), which was really only seen on a couple of Intel P4-only chipsets. In fact, there are 3 separate categories for P4 that are mutually non-interchangeable (socket type and/or bus speed)! Intel's nex family of CPUs (some are calling them P5s) will change bus speed and socket again, so it never ends... :mad:

Yes, I think AMD is concentrating on Opteron and Athlon64. They're doing that because they are banking on 64-bit computing taking off in the next year or two. If you look closely, though, both AMD and Intel are making sure their 64-bit CPUs will still retain 32-bit compatability, so I think we're safe for a few years.