Whiners...grrr...

My perfect opponent is a lot like Daffy Duck. When something goes wrong he whines and screams bloody murder in fantastical proportions. But he keeps coming back for more, and finishes the game.

Oh wait, I just described myself. Like that time when my Panther scored 4 non-lethal penetration hits on a Sherman and then was killed by a weak point hit...never mind.

It's nice to win, but what I really live for is getting my opponent to the point where he hates me, and says so. You don't even have to watch the turn, it's enough to get those three little words in the e-mail, "I hate you."

After that, it's all gravy.

Whining is important! After a particularly unfair turn you HAVE to shake your fist in whimpering rage at the vagaries of the byte gods - otherwise small dogs and children in your immediate vicinity may suffer.

But:

Not at your opponent.

And only for one email.

And then just suck it up, shut up and play on.

hi just wanted to add my thoughts on whiners.

when i first started playing with a buddy i would send queries that could have been regarded as whining but were intended to learn something from why this tank or that squad got nailed or would not fire until an 88 exploded in the turret. for instance i once had a puma pull up over aridge and stare at a light tank while it rotated its turret and brewed up the puma..ouch

but now having played enough games and have more experience i suck it up and play on find that you will get your share of forturnes of war breaks..great to join the cm group

What I like about this game is that if I lose a unit, it's almost always my mistake or my opponent's skill.

I remember playing Close Combat 2 years ago...I was a completely different person back then. Every time I lost a unit, I either yelled at the crappy AI in that game (tanks driving into buildings and then getting stuck) or I was sure my opponent had fixed the files.

Thank god I don't have those problem with CM. Now I can play a nice, civilized game of WWII chess and congradulate my opponent when he makes a good move to kill something of mine. If my loss isn't due to his skill, then I simply chalk it up to a "game feature" that I don't know about... :cool:

Found a suitable counter-whine-tactic for me. I just ignored his whining and won't try to argue against him at all.

In best case, that is irritating for my opponent.

Whiner:

"Aaargh, the game is totally against me and nothing works! Crappy, unrealistic game!"

My response is somefink like:

"The yesterday's ice hockey game was very tight"

BTW. Won 80-20 that battle.

Ah, brings back memories about perhaps the most whiny, girly opponent I've had the displeasure of playing.

Long story short, I had a lone T-70 smash several halftracks (including flamethrower variants) and the guns they towed proceeding to put some tungsten into a Jagdpanzer's side, a Maxim sprayed his FO into oblivion, another advance on the other flank was met with my rifle platoon routing his halftrack, gun crew and following infantry.

All in all there were no exceptional feats of luck par a panzerschreck of his failing to hit my T34s some 150+ meters away and setting the house he was in on fire, routing himself. Most of the incidents were caused by poor command on his part. :D

He seemed rather pissed, surrendered and left calling me a lucky wanker or somesuch after having whined a fair bit.

Ah, I love forcing people to hate me! :D