What is the best campaign system?

Hello everyone, longtime Combat Mission player (against the AI...), but relatively new to the forums.

I'm sure this is a much debated topic, but what is the best campaign system out there? So far I've seen ROQC version 0.96, which looks like it rocks, but may require a lot of book-keeping, and also a lot of mention of Biltong's Campaign Rules which unfortunately I can't seem to link to (SuperSolo's Site keeps giving me a "page not found"). :eek:

Just want to say all of these guys deserve major kudos for their creative attempts, they represent an INCREDIBLE amount of work, and show an amazing amount of dedication. Have you seen ROQC's spreadsheets! Sheeeeshh!

Anyway, before I jump in and start climbing the learning curve, I'm wondering what the general consensus is out there as far as how playable these systems are and how much they give you that campaign feel like the Close Combat series tried to give...(still think "A Bridge too Far" was the best of the series, but it seems so primitive now...)

Thanks for any input!

And yes, I haven't ruled out human opponents, but I tend to play CMBB when I'm not swamped with TOAW moves (warfarehq.com)

JagdBoy ;)

v.97 for ROQC automates everything. Much easier to use now (not that it wasn't easy before). A few entries then just a click on each setting and poof it's done. Very easy. I'm talking about using the spreadsheets, not the Gifs or other methods as I don't know how they play out. Robert is still working on it, tho it seems to be done with only a couple minor glitches. I haven't tried Biltongs (spelling) so can't tell you about that. ROQC gives me super hard battles most of the time with a pre-battle feeling of how the heck am I supposed to win this? My last battle was an Allied (I'm allied) Assault against 100% force bonus for the Axis, 25 turns, heavy trees, large hills, -15% force for Allied, no armor for me. I just left my core force behind and took one flag with my support force. I chickened out using the core force cause 3 battle before, I had lost 188 our of 194 men and was reduced to all greens. Luckily, I didn't get a roll for conscript replacements otherwise, I'd be down at the bottom again in Aug of 43 with nothing but conscripts. As it was, after the 188/194 decimation, the next battle was a loss too and then I did get a lot of conscripts. But now, I'm back up to mostly regulars. Two more "safe" battles and I just might get a veteran in my core force...yipee!!!

jt

For multi player campainns there are

The Onion Wars

http://www.onionwars.net

light hearted give each other crap in a fantasy world campagain. Quite fun.

http://www.cmmc2.org/

pretty damn serious east front simulation

Fun Factor unknown as it's just about to start.

and a single player campaign of sorts

Operation Storfang

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=008574

very fun. Eichbaum is a crafty bastiche.

[ September 17, 2003, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: 86smopuim ]

IMO there is no "best" campaign system. It all depends on your own preferences. You need at least to set up som criteria for what's good and bad in your opinion to be able to discriminate.

I have played BCR but found it to be too complex and take too long. It was very intense, however. There was an automated system, but I wanted to change some rules, so was stuck with doing things manually.

I made ROQC to have acces to a playable, simple campaign that would give me some of the feeling I had back when I played campaigns using the original Steel Panthers. I had a lot of fun with that campaign system.

So, to me ROQC is obviously the "best" one, as I value addiction, simplicity, variety, flexbility and the ability to play vs. the AI.

And JAT is right, the next verison will have an automated spreadsheet, making it very easy to get ready for the next battle. It's actually very close to going public. I expect to go from 0.97 (which should be out in a couple of days) to 1.0. I have had lots of good testing from - among others - JAT, allowing me to balance and - in some cases - simplify the system.

SuperSulo changed ISP, here is the new one for those interested in Biltong's Campaign Rules, BCRAV, and excellent BiltAid program to run BCR.

http://home.swipnet.se/supersulo/biltong/

I myself play ROQC with my own twists, it's great too. If you want really detailed, try Biltong's smile.gif

Cheers,

M.S.

[ September 17, 2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Sardaukar ]

Thanks gents, for the quick feedback! I've been in direct e-mail contact with Robert, the author of ROQC, and he's sent me his latest spreadsheet which is 0.97h.

Just printed the 43 page .pdf file that explains the system, and have started trying to learn the ins and outs. Quite excited about getting a campaign going....

Fortunately ROQC is backwards compatible, so anything I start now will be able to continue forward.

Game on! tongue.gif

Thanks gents, for the quick feedback! I've been in direct e-mail contact with Robert, the author of ROQC, and he's sent me his latest spreadsheet which is 0.97h.

Just printed the 43 page .pdf file that explains the system, and have started trying to learn the ins and outs. Quite excited about getting a campaign going....

Fortunately ROQC is backwards compatible, so anything I start now will be able to continue forward.

Game on! tongue.gif

JagdBoy