Aircraft spotting?...blind pilots??

Can anyone tell me if they have encountered similar problems regarding this situation:-

I know my PBEM opponent (from the briefing), July'41, has a sizeable force heading my way containing major armour and infantry assets, the map is fairly mixed in terrain and reasonably big, the weather is clear sky in daytime. My aircraft (Luftwaffe)have buzzed overhead on two seperate sorties so far and yet not one single enemy unit has been spotted or highlighted !..surely your average combat pilot would spot and identify at least some elements on the move and give me an indication of enemy dispositions, routes of advance etc ?

My other question is, are those aircraft sorties now wasted or do they keep returning till they use their payload?..or get shot down!

Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

...surely your average combat pilot would spot and identify at least some elements on the move and give me an indication of enemy dispositions, routes of advance etc ?

My other question is, are those aircraft sorties now wasted or do they keep returning till they use their payload?..or get shot down!

Nope, he wouldn't, since he wouldn't be able to communicate directly with you, being a battaillon (or even company) commander without a special radio set.

There were special air liaison officers, but these were usually with larger formations like regiments/divisions.

As long as your planes don't get shot down or damaged or spend their ammo they will return for another pass.

err, but surely he would attack said ground targets?...which would also alert my troops seeing the direction of his fire and attack dive?

...the russian armour involved is reported in the briefing as mixture of heavy and light armour!...so KV's are not too easy to hide on the move?...plus its dry summer, ie dust thrown up etc.

Because of FOV, you don't always get to know what your aircraft are doing. And so, even if it seems they're just passing over, they actually might have killed who knows what. Sometimes you won't be able to tell until the battle is finished! (Or you could ask from your opponent...)

'sides which, the enemy armor might NOT be on the move until your opponent decides where to commit it, and even if it is moving, it may be moving where the aircraft has difficulty spotting them.

Consider that these aircraft lack, say, sophisticated radar and modern target-acquisition / identification systems. It's not always easy for them to spot things.

If you see sudden otherwise unexplained thick, black "vehicle burning" smoke plumes in the distance, however, it's probably time to smile evilly.