Computer overides setup zones?

Was working on a tweak for my Gebirgsjager pack battles and came accross a situation I had not expected. Was trying to figure out why sometimes the computer defends great and sometimes offers no resistance at all and set up the scenario without fog of war, lo and behold even though the map has 3 different color set up zones to create a layered defense the computer took all the troops from the blue and white zones and crammed them into the red zone leaving the forward defenses barren!

Is this normal? I had always assumed that when selecting free to place units the computer was only free to place them within their respective setup zones, not free to change setup zones as it pleased. Needless to say I will change the setup advice on all 5 scenarios to use default and I apologize to those who have had a cakewalk at the computers whim.

Once I caught it the first time I let the computer setup several times and it as often as not moved all the troops out of the forward white and blue setup zones to the red ones at the end of the map, even deserting the defense of central map large flags in the process. I am currently experimenting with this problem with other operations.

It looks like the problem may be my fault. It would appear that if you adjust the troop balance and select free to place units the computer will move troops out of different color setup zones to the far end of the map(free to place units without a force balance modifier works fine).

It will however allow you to adjust the troop balance and maintain current positions if default setup is chosen.