Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Something goofy from mailer

This might sound stupid,and well, it probably is, but what does everyone think about a CIVIL WAR or NAPOLEAN game using an engine similar to combat mission?

I know, I know, many of you want to rip my face off for even suggesting it. I don't even know if your average WW2 gamer has any interest in Civil War/Napolean, but I think the world is hurting for a really new take on these periods.

Civil War fans need a game that really gets them up close with the gunpowder, blood, and tears of the Civil War, and the combat mission engine is one of the first Wargames I've played that really brought the battlefield to life.

Of course, the first problem is the time scale. Civil war battles lasted hours and even days, and in real time, well, you would be playing the battle of Gettysburg for months.

So I think the time and distance scale would have to be more abstracted, and because of command and communication difficulties, I figure the turn phase would be MUCH longer than a minute.

There would have to be a lot of other changes as well, but I think something at least SIMILAR to Combat Mission for Civil War/Napolean game could be really cool. Hex based gaming just doesn't bring the contrast of pagentry and savagry that a civil war game should.

I have Civil War General 2 and both the Sid Meier Civil War games, but I need more, and I need it to be even better. Combat Mission is clearly one of the best Wargames EVER designed and I would like to see some of the philosophies of this excellent system applied to other wargames.

So, start the onslaught of taunts and insults, I'm ready for them.

Thanks,

Mailer.

According to Madmatt

There are many things that the CMX2 engine will be, and it will open up many more possibilities to expand the series even further but there are no plans at this time to do a Amercian Civil War game using it.
Which I'm perfectly happy about because I've developed quite an illogical hatred for the ACW ;)

• 2 months later...