Bunkers! Too easy to kill?

Originally posted by Serge:

......I wouldn't stay longer than one hit from a tank in a pillbox or bunker ... I only have 2 ears and one heart ... plus too many nerves to break under such a blast......

Have to agree with you. Anybody that has any doubts about morale, suppression, panic, etc. might want to read Blood Red Snow.

There's constant reference to the almost uncontrollable urge to cower in your hole or run away, rather than stay and fight. At other times, the author was part of an elite "fire brigade", and noticed the improvement in morale of himself and those around him. Being part of a powerful combat group (and on the attack to restore the situation)with heavy weapons, panzers, etc. seemed to lift their spirits.

(LOL, No I do not get royalty payments from tne book, I just like it).

Ken

i played a scenario with a mixture of about 6 or 8 45mm and 76mm (short) soviet pillboxes mixed with some machinegun pillboxes. if they're all in the same general location, it can be very difficult for vehicles to take them out... in the scenario i'm talking about these were all more or less covering the same road and they killed a lot of vehicles without too many of the bunkers being knocked out... and this was also with a dose of offboard 150mm being dropped within their midst for something like 15 turns straight...

Originally posted by kenfedoroff:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Serge:

......I wouldn't stay longer than one hit from a tank in a pillbox or bunker ... I only have 2 ears and one heart ... plus too many nerves to break under such a blast......

Have to agree with you. </font>

Guest Mike

For those people who think that 20mm hitting hte "back" wall should have no effect I ask this:

Think of yuorself in such a bunker. It's quite small - maybe 6 or 8 feet square.

Out there is a gun putting bursts of little HE rounds through your firing slit and those shells are zinging around you - not more than 6-8 feet away and exploding on the back wall where your kit and reserve ammo are on the floor.

How long do you intend to stay inside that little enclosure, without earmuffs, listening to those shots going past you and exploding inside the building, waiting for one of those little shells to hit you?