German Mapping Technique

In this thread (and others IIRC) Tero asked about how the German Army mapping service operated. I recently came across this highly relevant passage:

<big>Desert Warfare: German Experiences in World War II</big>

big snips

IV. MISCELLANEOUS

. 12. Cartographic Service

. . a. General

In Libya, the German Army was initially solely dependent on the hastily reprinted Italian maps (scale l:2OO,OOO), since at first, good German maps were available only on the scales of 1:1,000,000 and 1:500,000 (which were mainly destined for use by the Luftwaffe).

The Italian maps were poor and often showed points of interest more than twenty kilometers from the coast as several kilometers off. In compensation, there were captured British maps that included Libya and Egypt. They were excellent and as a result much prized. Later, they were reprinted. The French maps, used for the first time in Tunisia, were serviceable but were later replaced by German maps. In 1941, the Luftwaffe received a special map on a scale of 1:400,000 and in conic projection, which fully met requirements.

. . b. Reliability and Methods of Use

Sufficient maps were available for the following regions:

. Tripolitania (area around Tripoli): Italian map, 1:50,000

. Cyrenaica: Italian map, 1:50,000

. Egypt (western desert): British map, l:lOO,OOO

. Southern Tunisia: French map, l:lOO,OOO and l:2OO,OOO

The lack of good maps made itself felt, especially in defensive operations. New photographs were accordingly taken of the area of the Marsa el Brega position and of the Buerat position in cooperation with the Luftwaffe, the cartographic detachment of the Africa observation battery, the cartographic section of the German Army High Command, and the Military Geologic Office. The following method was used. The survey battery drew up a net of artillery points (APs) by use of traverses that were emplaced at the triangulation points (TPs). The APs were clearly identified by means of ground panels. Then, the Luftwaffe took a series of aerial mosaics with 30 percent overlaps. The results were transferred from the aerial photographs to the AP diagrams by the Military Geologic Office. This work was more difficult than expected, especially since only a simple stereoscope was available for the purpose. Correct evaluation of the form of the terrain and of the condition of the ground on the basis of the aerial photographs required a great deal of experience. Errors occasioned by the angle at which the photograph was taken, the distortion at the edges of pictures, etc., had to be compensated for as well as possible. After rough drafts had been finished, clean copies were made by the cartographic section, and these were reproduced by the printing section. In this way, maps were produced in a short time that fully met the requirements of the forces. They gave an accurate picture of the tactical conditions of the terrain, permitted orientation, and contained correctly surveyed artillery points.

In respect to tactics, the road maps made by the Military Geologic Office constituted an important supplement. The Italian, British, and French maps were redrawn and reprinted by the Mapping and Surveying Service and then distributed to the forces by the cartographic centers in Africa. The maps were always available in adequate quantities, with the exception of temporary scarcities brought about by the difficulties of supply.

The maps and documentary material of the Military Geographic Branch were used by all headquarters down to the regiment. They were used for the initial basic orientation in the conduct of operations and as such were indispensable. In addition they contained a great deal of important information, especially in their description of road conditions. However, since only such documentation as was available at the beginning of the war could be used, there were gaps that only reconnaissance could fill in. The colored hachures on maps, indicating the passability of terrain or at least the limitations on its passability, were important.

more big snips

Unfortunately it doesn't specify any exact times to produce new maps, but based on the activities required I would estimate 2-3 days.

Regards

JonS

[ May 15, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Jon, hi,

Interesting stuff.

My only experience of German WWII maps was at the British Library where I went to take a closer look at some of Russia. They were of a very high quality, to look at anyway. Clearly, I had no way of judging their accuracy. Some, but not all, looked very similar to modern/contemporary topographical maps.

In fact the German maps were just reprints of Soviet maps. The Germans obtained an entire series in the thirties. I know some German WWII maps of Russia did not have contour lines, elevation marked, just roads and urban areas. However, most of the ones I saw had the same detail level of modern topographical maps.

BTW. A quick thanks to US taxpayers. I live in the UK but was given a list of locations where I could find German WWII maps, in the UK, by a very helpful chap on the staff of the Library of Congress. He spent quite some time helping me, although I was a UK citizen living in the UK.

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

[snips]

BTW. A quick thanks to US taxpayers. I live in the UK but was given a list of locations where I could find German WWII maps, in the UK, by a very helpful chap on the staff of the Library of Congress. He spent quite some time helping me, although I was a UK citizen living in the UK.

And are you going to share this information with us in exchange for vague promises of beer in the Chandos, or are we going to have to beat it out of you?

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by JonS:

I recently came across this highly relevant passage:

Excellent. Can you please quote the exact source.

A few cursory notes:

In Libya, the German Army was initially solely dependent on the hastily reprinted Italian maps

Seems they had to rely on these kinds of sources on a regular basis pretty much in every theater.

(scale l:2OO,OOO), since at first, good German maps were available only on the scales of 1:1,000,000 and 1:500,000 (which were mainly destined for use by the Luftwaffe).

Confirms some of my hunches.

In 1941, the Luftwaffe received a special map on a scale of 1:400,000 and in conic projection, which fully met requirements.

Requirements set down by and for the Luftwaffe ?

The lack of good maps made itself felt, especially in defensive operations.

See ? smile.gif

New photographs were accordingly taken of the area of the Marsa el Brega position and of the Buerat position in cooperation with the Luftwaffe, the cartographic detachment of the Africa observation battery, the cartographic section of the German Army High Command, and the Military Geologic Office.

LW, DAK, OKH and the Military Geologic Office. Seems like a lot of red tape spanning across half the continent.

The following method was used.

Looks like the standard triangulation method requiring standard, extensive leg work on the ground.

... especially since only a simple stereoscope was available for the purpose.

The Finnish camera was better.

Correct evaluation of the form of the terrain and of the condition of the ground on the basis of the aerial photographs required a great deal of experience.

The set of photos provided by the Nenon camera (horizon and directly below coupled with the altitude reading) facilitated this part of the job greatly.

Errors occasioned by the angle at which the photograph was taken,

Not a major problem with the horizon shot.

the distortion at the edges of pictures,

With a 30% overlap ?

In this way, maps were produced in a short time that fully met the requirements of the forces.

That is a bit vague as well research assesments and descriptions go. Typical. smile.gif

They gave an accurate picture of the tactical conditions of the terrain, permitted orientation, and contained correctly surveyed artillery points.

I assume these artillery points were of prime importance to their artillery method.

In respect to tactics, the road maps made by the Military Geologic Office constituted an important supplement.

Hmmmmm..... I wonder how that worked. They made separate maps for roads and topographics ?

The maps were always available in adequate quantities, with the exception of temporary scarcities brought about by the difficulties of supply.

Come on !

When was this source written ? And by whome ? smile.gif

The maps and documentary material of the Military Geographic Branch were used by all headquarters down to the regiment. They were used for the initial basic orientation in the conduct of operations and as such were indispensable.

AFAIK the Finnish maps were made available and used all the way down to platoon level. And there were no separate maps for roads.

However, since only such documentation as was available at the beginning of the war could be used, there were gaps that only reconnaissance could fill in.

That would mean the artillery method could not rely on maps until the artillery points had been surveyd.

Unfortunately it doesn't specify any exact times to produce new maps, but based on the activities required I would estimate 2-3 days.

Since the source so accuratly puts it: maps were produced in a short time that fully met the requirements of the forces. while they were also (according to the source) always available in adequate quantities, with the exception of temporary scarcities brought about by the difficulties of supply. I have to say your guess is as good as mine. smile.gif

Even if yours is within the ball park it boilds down to the fact the Finnish troops had much more accurate maps (and they were much more artillery friendly since they were made with the artillery usage in mind first and foremost) available down to platoon level in half that time, on average.

[ May 16, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Tero ]

John, hi,

“And are you going to share this information with us in exchange for vague promises of beer in the Chandos, or are we going to have to beat it out of you?”

Firstly it is the British Library, secondly some dusty warehouse in Tolworth, strange but true smile.gif . Apparently the British military have their biggest store of maps in Tolworth. Now and then they have a sort-out and send the older more interesting stuff to the British Library.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

PS. That will indeed be a pint of Sams at the Chandos :D

Originally posted by Quintus:

The toothpick, if dipped in a high enough quality ink, can be used to draw very good maps...

If you are smart enough and you have all the wood you need you can process that tootpick and lots and lots of other toopicks into paper and use a proper press to apply the ink on the map. That way you get maps with very good print quality. Much better than your hand drawn ones. smile.gif

What matter is how accurate they are and how suitable to the task they are supposed to facilitate no matter how they they are produced.

I've given a link to the source doc in another thread. It was written by half-a-dozen former DAK guys, so I assume they can be trusted to know what they are talking about.

I assume the conic projection map was used by the LW as it would assist them in plotting 'grand circle' routes across and around the Med.

The red tape you trumpet probably wasn't that big-a-deal. Remember the size of the forces involved. (DAK = 3-4 divs. Geologic section = approx 10 guys. Etc.) And they were all in NA from what I can tell.

I assume the Artillery Points where simply reference points used to align the maps/photos, etc. Rather like trig points. But since it was artillery surveyors doing the work, they called them ... Artillery Points.

I thought you said the uberFinnish maps took 48 hours to produce? And that they were suitable, but not that great. Doesn't sound like there is all that much difference to me.

BTW, in a couple of your statements it is clear you are confusing the several types of maps the Germans used in NA, and what they were used for. The orientation maps were used for ... ta da ... theatre orientation and induction of new troops and forces. If you think about it, you will see that there is no need for these to go down to platoon level.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

I've given a link to the source doc in another thread.

Which is where ?

It was written by half-a-dozen former DAK guys, so I assume they can be trusted to know what they are talking about.

No guestion about that.

The red tape you trumpet probably wasn't that big-a-deal.

I think that is a matter of interpretation. One keeps reading about the inter-service squabbles they had at all levels so it is up to each and everyone of us to interpret how widespread it was.

Remember the size of the forces involved. (DAK = 3-4 divs. Geologic section = approx 10 guys. Etc.) And they were all in NA from what I can tell.

True. The red tape is not in the distance, it is in the organization of the entire endevour. 4 (four) different, distinctly separate organizations needed to organize the relatively simple task of mapping.

I assume the Artillery Points where simply reference points used to align the maps/photos, etc. Rather like trig points. But since it was artillery surveyors doing the work, they called them ... Artillery Points.

Stands to reason. But what were the AP's used for, actually ? It would help if there was some infusion of data about their artillery practises.

I thought you said the uberFinnish maps took 48 hours to produce? And that they were suitable, but not that great. Doesn't sound like there is all that much difference to me.

You GUESTIMATED 2-3 days. How did you arrive in that figure ?

The source says maps were produced in a short time that fully met the requirements of the forces.

Yet it also states quite clearly states first, good German maps were available only on the scales of 1:1,000,000 and 1:500,000 and Later, they (British maps) were reprinted. The French maps, used for the first time in Tunisia, were serviceable but were later replaced by German maps

Lots of use of lended/captured materiel and reprinting or large scale maps good only for basic high level operations.

BTW, in a couple of your statements it is clear you are confusing the several types of maps the Germans used in NA,

No confusion. You seem to have a blind spot when it comes to these different kinds of maps and their uses. You seem not to see anything perculiar about everybody having maps of their own for their own use. They had separate topo and road maps for example. Having different scales of maps I do understand but having separate maps for orienteering and for fire direction is not economical. Or end-user friendly during times of crisis.

If you think about it, you will see that there is no need for these to go down to platoon level.

Indeed. So what did they have at that level ? Maps hand drawn on napkins based on briefings if all the good stuff was at regimental level ?

[ May 17, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Tero ]

The link is in a thread on this forum from a few weeks ago. Not to put too fine-a-point on it, do a search. I have downloaded copy and am reading it off my HDD, so don’t have the link handy.

You have misunderstood the sense in which 'orientation' is used here. It is being used to describe the process of introducing new personnel to NA, to 'orient' them to their new theatre. For example, "Alexandria is over there, Crete is up there, Malta is over there. There is a road running along the coast from here to here. Most of the fighting occurs in the coastal strip here." That kind of orientation. Not the 'cunning running' kind.

I told you what the APs were likely used for.

You seem to have a blind spot about all things non-Finnish. You casually dismiss anything foreign with the catch-all 'the Finnish {insert item here} was better.'

You asked for info on how the Germans made maps in the field. Here it is. Predictably, it is vastly inferior to the uberFinnish maps. No surprises there.

Regards

JonS

P.S. Later in the doc there is discussion on some of the items that required R&D effort, including dehydrated fuel! smile.gif