How do I set up multiplayer?

You choose a scenario and select "tcpip" after the briefing.

when the "waiting for other players" screens appears, your buddy selects "join multiplayer", tcpip and enters your ip adress.

You can see your ip adress here www.whatismyip.com

If you are behind a router you have to open port 7023 Tcp I think (correct me if im wrong with that)

start, as if you would play against the AI.

If you want to play a Quick Battle, just select "Allow Human" to select forces for both sides.

Last screen before you go to battle is the one:

Alone/Hotseat/PBEM/Tcp-ip

Here you select TCP-IP. Then give your friend your ip to connect.

Never... Ever... Turn off your internal XP firewall if thats what your running. VERY, VERY BAD. Sure you can play on line but you will eventually get wormed... :(

I have been told if your going to run a fire wall, Zone Alarm is the go.

On the other hand if your playing from a Mac it's all good. You can't lose! smile.gif

If you are behind a router and you dont have dchp running (dynamic ips) you have to forward the Tcp port 7023 to your client ip.

protocol : tcp

port: 7023 (single port)

dest. ip : 192.168.9.x (your client ip)

dest port: 7023

If your computer is directly connected to the internet and you have a firewall runnig, you have to open the port there. Some firewalls allow certian *.exe to pass through. Do that with the combatmission exe. Some firewalls create a popup when something on you pc want to connect to the internet. Just allow it.

Sorry my english is bad, if you could give more information I could help you better maybe.

1. are you behind a router

2. if yes hardware or software router

3. which firewall do you have (if its windows firewall, you have to disable it)

if www.myip.com shows a different ip number than cmbb you are behind a firewall or router.

your friend needs the number from www.myip.com

eg 216.45.164.24 (4 blocks of number)

However, the player who hosts the game must not sit behind a firewall or router. as the host, you need to foreward that port. consult your manual how to do that ("forewared port").

If you turn off your XP internal firewall you will leave your system wide open for virus's, hackers and worms. This can be very, very bad. I know from recent experience. All advice recommends using Zone Alarm as your firewall instead. This is a free download but may have conflict issues with any other firewall you are running. You can configure the port to allow traffic from one specific IP address. It works but it's a bugger to get rid of when you try and uninstall it. Can you get a friend to host instead?

He tried to host the game but it still didnt work. I never thought it would be so (incredibly) complicated. I just want to play a freakin' game with a friend! I think that I'll see if I can get my brother to set it up on the computer tomorrow (using your info of course).

Thanks for your help