Why no TRPs when on the attack?

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Maybe the best way to handle this is after the defending player buys all his artillery modules, the program rolls a die and simply scratches a certain percentage of them, or they are delayed in coming into use.

I would think given the normal timeframe of a CM battle (30-45 minutes), that "scratching" would be a better way of handling it. Delay due to c-b fire would seem to imply time taken to move and resite the guns. I would suggest that in most cases, the time to do that would far exceed the time restraints of a scenario, especially for larger guns. "Scratching" would then not necessarily only represent actual losses of guns or crews, but that relocating took too long for the battery to be available again during the scenario.

Edited for spelling... Hard to type with a 2-yr old on your lap!

[ August 26, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: IntelWeenie ]

Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

Delay due to c-b fire would seem to imply time taken to move and resite the guns.

Not necessarily. If I understand it correctly, more often it was time spent waiting for the shells to stop falling and for the gun crews to climb out of their slit trenches and return to their guns.

Michael

OK, I'll sleep on the counter-batter stuff and see what (if anything) I think about it in the morning. Must get the kids to bed anyway...

What about the way FOs are currently modeled? Any thoughts?

I think they're pretty accurate for Bn and Rgt level support, but they don't feel quite right for higher level support. Does anyone have documentation on how the different armies allocated artillery support especially at the upper echelons? Were FOs allocated to units for support from the big guns, or did they more often fire according to pre-arranged plans?

Counter-fire, on SP artillery it is able to move off and re lay fairly effectively. Horse drawn was pretty much stuck. In both cases not much happened while the shells rained down. The problem with moving is

1. You lose most of the advantages of the registration.

2. The large stacks of ammo probably didn't come with you.

3. All data has to re calculated.

FO comment, the US sent up observers, most of the other nations sent the battery commander up to be the observer and the Russians sent the commander and part of the FDC.