Why can I see enemy mines?

I am playing a couple of game in both CMAK and CMBB. It has become apparent that I can see enemy mines long before I approach them. I'm sure this is not new, it is just something I have recently noticed.

Why are these mines showing up? I generally play extreme FOW.

In some case, I think routed enemy units are retreating into their own minefield. That might be one reason why some show up. But others are so far back that no action has taken place near them.

Thanks

The mines you see are most likely daisy-chain anti-tank mines, which are laid on the surface. In real life they were usually covered up or camouflaged or something, and were usually hard to spot at distance (as you'd expect). But CM lets you see them from quite far away.

If a mine goes off, however, the minefield becomes visible, no matter what type it is - AP, AT or DCAT. I'm not sure whether enemies setting it off will display the marker, though.

Thanks all.

These are anti-personnel mines. I've been fully updated for years.

Still... I can't imagine the AI would have stepped on everyone of his own mines. Something screwy is going on here. I'm still discovering wire and trenches... but I see all of his mines. oh well.