Temp Mod Sharing & McMMM download

As cmmods may be down for a while this may provide a temporary solution for mod authors to share their work.

www File Share

Its very simple to setup, only 500k to download and best of all its free. It's not a peer to peer filesharing tool, it is a very simple web server that allows you to share file direct from a directory on your PC.

Obviously bandwidth depends on your connection type and the URL is only good for the duration of your connection and whey your ip address changes so does the URL.

I've used it a few times to share CM patches when people have had problems downloading them. It seems secure and works OK with firewalls that I've used(Norton and Sygate)

All you need to do is point it to a directory (I used my Mod directory) and that is all that gets shared (not yr whole drive)

Here's a working example .....

Lou2000 Temp Web Server

It may help modders distribute their works. Certainly better than trying Kazaa .... (that has been tried and failed in the past!)

Note: The 'exCMMOS' mods listed are ones processed by McMMM so wont work with CMMOS anymore ... but I only use McMMM now anyway ;)

Lou2000

[ October 05, 2003, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Good on you mate.

I would do this as well but my PC is of most of the time.(the wife moans).

I am willing to stick any NEW mods on my site for a short while.

It won't be many as i only have a small site but i will see how many i can stick on before i break it.Or my ISP moans about the bandwidth.

So any Modders with new mods to release drop me a line.

Looks like a good option for now, Lou. I wonder though, can you disable the file uploading? I would imagine that you can, that has to be an option.

I have beaucoup mods that I'd be willing to share this way. Wish I could post them on my website, but that didn't go over so good the last time. :(

Actually you dont get the Upload option in the free version ... only the Pro version, but as I use it between home and work I got this bought for me smile.gif However the 'upload' is a selectable option in the pro version. Along with password protection, but the free version is fully usable as it is ... no banners, ads or popups etc.

Also be aware that your IP address gets logged when you download.

Also if there are any Mod designers out there who want their new releases sharing then I'll be happy to put them in a 'New Mods' directory and share them from my PC.

I'll also edit/update the URL after I reboot / reconnect, but I only do that every couple of days. I'd also put a thread up in another fourm so the link wouldn't need bumping etc

Lou2000

To whoever was uploading the BERGMAN_20MM_FLAK mod. Can you resend it ..... I was part way through changing the upload directory location and the file came in corrupt. My fault :(

The rest are all OK.

I've moved my upload directory so that all mods uploaded will go straight into a 'New Mods' directory and be instantly available ..... The only downside to this is that if you try to download a mod that is still being posted then it will be corrupt .... I suggest refreshing the webpage to see that the file size isnt changing.

..... I will regularly check that dir to make sure there isnt any 'JUNK' getting uploaded :eek:

Any files uploaded here will be sent to COG once cmmods is back working again.

Remember there is limited bandwidth ....I'm on broadband, but I'm not a commercial webserver !!

Lou2000

[ October 03, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

Pretty cool idea. Thanks for helping Lou2k.

Be careful that it doesn't leave your PC vulnerable to attck though. You'd be surprised how quickly they will start to try and break in.

COG

Not a problem. It's not a cure but may help a little. As I said, any mods uploaded can be forwarded once you have things under control.

Any sign of that from my firewall and it will come down and I'll change my IP address.

I have Norton antivirus and firewall active all the time, but I'll be watching :eek:

And ALL IP addresses get logged.

Originally posted by Ebusitanus:

For the n00bs, how are we supposed to know what does each Mod mean? Is there a way of puting in some short description?

Some of the zips have readme files or a jpg image inside them , but that is up to the mod author.

The normal place to get mods is cmmods.com, however is it down at the moment (as explained in other threads), but it usually has a better description of the mod.

The temp webserver I have active will only list filenames ..... it should be enough in most cases. Sorry but thats all I can make it do.

Make sure you download McMMM, that way you can view the readme, bmp and image files before installing and if you dont like it then just use McMMM to remove it !

Lou2000

McMMM???

As up today there is a winter and a summer version of the vehicle and as I understand the winter version was left out but the place created as to the community to Mod those winter equipment. Right? So, there is basically bmp spaces for winter and ones for the summer. This means that I can download and install everything I see something about winter with impunity since I´m basically not erasing anything there was previous and only on summer equipment would I have to save my initial bmp setup because just in this case would I be overwritting something, right? So, as I can see when there are ten diferent Mods about the T34 1943 Modell, the winter ones would be great beacause I have nothing in the first place and the summer one I have to save. Then I have to choose the perfect summer Mod because there is just one slot to be filled for T34 1943 Summer modell and every one I download erases the previous one. Right? Ufffff

Smallarms there is just one bmp slot, right? or is there also a winter small arms bmp posibility to coexist with the summer set?

McMMM is a CM mod manager created by GreenAsJade.

If you are new to CM and mods then I suggest you use it to install and uninstall CM mods. It will allow you to install and remove mods and will backup and restore any bmp files that are overwritten.

All you need to do is tell McMMM where the game bmp directory is and also the location of a mod directory with all the zip files in it.

Then click New Mod and select those you want to try. It will then load the mod into the 'uninstalled mods' window. From here you can view the bmp's and any other files (text/jpg's etc), then just install into the 'active mods' window and its all done.

When you start up CMBB you will see the mod in place, if you dont like the mod just use McMMM to uninstall it and it will return your game to its previous state.

As an extra precaution you could always backup your CMBB bmp directory before you start playing around with mods ...... you shouldnt need to, but that way you will always be able to reload the BFC originals without fully reinstalling the game.

Lou2000 Temp Web Server

Not sure if there is still a need for this ...though it has had some use over the last couple of days.

I've changed it so that only newly uploaded mods and GreenAsJades McMMM mod manager are available for download.

If anybody has any new mods that they want to share here temporarily until cmmods is back on line, then just use the 'upload' function and they will be shared instantly.

There have been 13 new mods and 1 map pack uploaded in the last couple of days.

As an afterthought.... I've alos added the CDV UK patches ..... and if you are in need of a laugh ... check out the BushBlair mpg file in the Misc directory :DSuddenly it all makes sense !!!

Lou2000

Thanks to GreenAsJade...............

The latest version of McMMM (1.52beta) has just been sent to me by GreenAsJade and is now available. (all feedback to GaJ please).

No need to uninstall the previous version, just extract to the same directory and overwrite the files ..... It should all work just fine.

Lou2000 Temp Web Server

There is also a copy of the latest McMMM help

file so that those who have not tried it yet can get an idea of what McMMM can do.

Plus another small mod just added

Lou2000

They're not singing to eachother are they :D

I laugh everytime I see it !

================================================

Due to electrical works on my home, I have taken the webserver down.

If anybody wants I can put it back online later .... but at the moment I'm not planning on putting it back up, as there has only been limited interest in the last 24 hours.

=================================================

[ October 07, 2003, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]