Community Mod Disk

Has anybody ever produced a community mod disk?

I have seen these produced on the net for other games etc. I would be glad to pay for a community disk for Mods. Downloading enough for CMMOS to be worthwhile for me is a non-event with a slow modem.

I see CMMODS needs donations for that site, this may be a way to help cover costs, and get the mods used by a wider audience. It would be good to have a CMMOS and possible a Non CMMOS mod disk. (Possibly separate for CMBO & CMBB)

Has this been done or in the pipeline? I saw somewhere BTS do not mind if the new parts of the upcoming store version of CMBO are shared around. There have been so many people asking for a graphics upgrade for CMBO this could be a good idea.

Is any one interested I this concept?

I thought about it because it is a pain in the ass to have to go re-download all the mods if you ever lose em in a move or puter crash, etc.. I have the equipment to do it, but I think it would be a pain due to all the modders out there would have to give consent, and so would BFC (copy write red tape). The copy write?? you ask, yes, There would have to be a charge for doing this,{unless there is someone who would donate, doubtful). Some people who have been with the game tend to have downloaded the mods as they came out. And some have DSL or cable,(but even with these it takes a while to download all of them) and some have them already burned to disk. The next question would be, which mods to put on the disk, well you really would have to put all of them, (and by me saying disk, I meant disks, it would take more then one), because differnt people have differnt tastes in mods. Then what would be the charge for the disks?? hard to say without checking into it, the burning and S/H, U.S. and abroad. Then would you offer them only for the U.S. and Canadian versions?? maybe at first, then there would be the folks with CDV,{oops forgot they would have to consent also, that is if they are a partner with BFC, and I think they are), and if this is the case you have the "No Nazi Propaganda laws" in europe. Well those are a few considerations in thinking about a "Community Mods Disk". And last but not least, MONEY, if there is money to be made in any way, there will be a lot of aurguing going on, I can promise you this. So yes, I think it would be nice to have a "Community Mod Disk", but the feasibility of one, I don't see it happening.

Would you like a detailed step-by-step CMMOS how-to? I am working that and only need feedback from a tester before I make it available.

It would include all my hints/tricks and my CMMOS starter files, which means you only have to fill in the blank.

MikeT

When BFC put out their CMBO mod disk packaged with the game for Britain they first had to go through all sorts of legal gymnastics. Signed releases from the mod artists, written declarations that the mod disk would not be a for-profit item but would be considered free-ware bundled with the product. Some mod artists are more prickley about their product than others. While some have an "anything for the cause" attitude others figure that they should be the ones to profit off their hard work, not some guy who's only contribution was the CD burner his mom had bought him for Xmas.

A CMBB CD pack could be done and would be a great help 'for the cause', but if profits are involved it might be a bit of a minefield to walk into.

Yes, like I said, it would be a hassle to say the least, myself, I wouldn't care about the mods I have done going on a disk. I do the mods for myself and then post them, if people want them ok, if not, don't get em, it ain't like I get paid for em or anything. Then I figure, heck I grab other peoples mods so I figure I can at least throw mine up for grabs sorta like trading baseball cards or something when you were a kid, really the mods are just eye candy anyway, you could play the game without them, but they do add a lot to make the game more realistic and fun.

Perhaps once CMAK is finished and selling, and CMBB sales are starting to wane BFC will consider doing to CMBB what they did to CMBO, either bundle a free-ware CD with the best mods that they cherry-picked off the sites, or release a CMBB 'Special Edition' for store shelves all modded-up.

But a modded CMBB wouldn't be as much of a quantum leap as a modded CMBO, with the exception of a very few vehicles that needed to be brought up to speed with the rest.

To MikeT

Thanks for the offer of the files. I would very much appreciate getting them. I will give you some feed back once I have tried them out.

I hope a disk is produced one day as I am sure there would be plenty of support for one, and I am sure the authors would be in favor if it is for non profit.

Regards Markl