Interesting Russkie tactic.

I'm sure someone has thought of this one already, but I've used it in a number of QBs (meeting engagements) and it usually worked in my favor--great kill ratios.

I attach two or three 50mm mortars to a SMG platoon and set them loose on a flank or some less active part of the line.

I always buy lots of 50mm mortars, I love the little buggers, but I usually used my SMG squads to support major infantry advances or as ride-alongs on my armor.

Any thoughts?

The 50mm Russian mortar is particularly useful, especially compared to those of other nations, becasue it has an excellent ammo load (65 rounds, IIRC) whihc are excellent for suppressing the enemy while you manouevre the SMG squads in. As the SMGs are not so hot above 100m and have a woeful ammo supply, it enables their more efficient use.

Personally I like to try and cart a DP LMG team along as well for a bit more suppressive fire.

If you have a big map, it's sometimes nice to have a platoon of SMGs in Halftracks with mortars, LMGs and FOs along for the ride. Until someone drops arty on them, or catches them out with an autocannon.

SMG's are nasty in close quarter fighting, especially cities. At close range the Russians blow away the Germans with their comparatively low firepower rifles. I have seen late war German SMG units use up their ENTIRE ammo load in a single turn, however.

Mortars are good where ever there is good LOS. Seems strange to mix mortars and SMG units - mortars are usually back and in cover (best if with an HQ up front and they are out of sight) and the SMG units are usually right up front in the battle or in counter-attack positions behind the line where they can spring on the enemy at close range.