Infantry Mods

I need some help with inf. mods. I going to be adding a couple of new categories for each mod to break them down and make them easier to sort through and manage. But I'm not sure of what my categories should be. Here's what I have so far (German only for example):

German Infantry

German Mechanized

German Cavalry

German Mountain

German Security

German SS Infantry

German SS Mechanized

German SS Cavalry

German SS Mountain

German Luftwaffe Infantry

German Luftwaffe Mechanized

German Airborne

German Volkssturm

German Ski

German Support

And inside of those categories, you would be able to pick the individual units:

German Infantry

Rifle 41

Rifle 44

Grenadier SMG

Volksgrenadier

Volksgrenadier SMG

Volksgrenadier Hvy SMG

Jaeger 42

Jaeger 43

Jaeger 44

Fusilier 43

Fusilier 44

Fusilier 45

Fusilier SMG

Fusilier Sturm

Volksgrenadier Fusilier

Volksgrenadier Fusilier SMG

Volksgren Fusilier Hvy SMG

Recon 41

Recon 43

Recon 44

Pioneer-S

Pioneer-SL

Pioneer 44A

Pioneer 45

Volksgrenadier Pioneer

Sturmgruppe

My questions is:

Can someone tell me which units use the same .BMP files? In other words, does Recon 43 use the same uniforms as Recon 44?

Andrewtf, you seem to be one of the more knowledgable modders when it comes to uniforms. Any thoughts on this?

If I get it to work, it will be much easier for the mod sluts to find what they want and for the modders to manage their mods. You won't have to create a new mod when all you are doing is updating an old one. (You CAN do that now, but I think most don't because it's hard to find the old mod.) To create a new mod, you'll enter a country (Germany), then select the type of unit (Infantry) and finally the unit (Recon 43).

The best part of limiting the unit info to drop-down lists is that it will be consistant. If a slut is looking for a "T-34/76D M1943 early", they will know right where to find it. Today, that same mod might be called "T34-76D M1943", "T34-76D 1943 early" or even "T-34 76D M43 early". With consistancy comes ease of use.

I'll offer all the mods I have to anyone who can help me! ;)

Thanks!

[ September 04, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]

It's not quite as complicated as you think. Most textures seems to be either shared or broken down into generalized categories like as "Mechanized" "Infantry", "Guards", "Cavalry", "Naval", and "Mountain". No distinction is made between more specific troop types Volksgrenadiers, pioneers, Bersaglieri, etc.

Texture sharing is not consistent, however. For example Soviet mountain troops share BMPs with regular infantry, but German, Waffen-SS, Italian, and Romanian mountain troops have either some specific BMPs or their own specific BMPs, depending.

Confused yet?

There's an excellent chart of all uniforms BMPs in Michael Dorosh's GD for CM website. I don't have the URL here at work, but it's linked through his sig. It will tell you more than I can. smile.gif

Now that is a great idea Columbus. Now, I was taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth but that would make it so much easier. Since you seem on wanting to make sorting easier I have an idea. Oh good you want to hear it. :D Well, how about having a separate category for just German armor and just Russian armor? I know this could get out of hand but I think you would only have to do it for armor as HT's, guns, etc isn't that overwhelming like the armor is. Just a thought.