Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Book Recommendations on German Mechanized Forces?

Ì'm looking for a new addition to my bookshelf that has CMBB-Level tactical reports on german forces, preferable mechanized/armored infantry in cooperation with tanks.

I already got the Nazifiger Collection "German Squad Manuel" from the Battlefront Store.

I did like Guderians "Achtung Panzer" on a theoretical level, is his "Panzer Leader" similar to what I'm looking for, or just mere politics?

Anything else I could find at amazon.de?

Hi,

I'm lurking out here while I wait for my CMAK/CMBB pak to arrive in the mail.

I've read Panzer Leader. Mostly its Guderian's memoirs. So its some of what you are looking for, but not entirely.

First, it covers the period between the wars, when Guderian was largely in charge of developing Germany's mechanized forces. I haven't read Achtung Panzer, but I suppose that's the book he wrote while he was in this job. So it covers a lot of what he was doing to build these forces.

Then as a division leader in Poland, and higher ranking in France and Russia, it covers his campaigns there. Since Guderian was like most German officers and like to lead at the front, you do get some detailed descriptions of the battles. Varies from operational level down to personal experiences on a tactical level when he showed up at the front with his command car.

So up until he gets fired in Russia in 1941, the book probably has what you are looking for. After that, he's retired for a year, then after Stalingrad he becomes inspector general for panzers. Then eventually gets named German chief of staff. So all of those parts of the book largely describes what's happening in Berlin and around Hitler.

One book that comes to mind is a book about the 1st SS Panzer Corps in Normandy. The name escapes me. But it describes in great detail the 1st SS Panzer Div and the 12th SS Panzer Division from DDay through the Falaise Pocket.

Seems also like Gen. Mantueffel wrote a book I enjoyed reading once.

They don't always cover Germany, but I like BH Liddel Hart's books. And he spent a lot of time after the war interviewing German Generals, so it does cover Germany more than you'd expect. In fact one of his books, which I haven't read is entirely about those interviews. And another I haven't read is called the Rommel Papers. Since I like his other books, those might both be interesting, particularly the latter.

Let me know what you find. I'm always up to read a new book!

[ January 26, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: marc420 ]

I may be able to find a translator who will make sense of that strange german dialect you guys are speaking...then these books could indeed be off interest.

Especially the former one about Infantry...

Are these more about structure and organization, or more about tactics and doctrine? Later would be prefered.

Marc, thanks for unlurking. I really think PL would be a good follow up to "Achtung Panzer", from what you descripe...iit may be nice to see how the "Blitzkrieg" concept came from theory to practice...

The one I have is more about structure, organisation, equipment, and history. But these are not independent of doctrine and tactics, so these get a good treatment as well. The artillery book is a very good entry into the subject, and I suspect the infantry one will be as well.

A good divisional history on the topic is 'Die Magdeburger Division - zur Geschichte der 13. Infanterie- und Panzerdivision'.

Originally posted by marc420:

One book that comes to mind is a book about the 1st SS Panzer Corps in Normandy. The name escapes me. But it describes in great detail the 1st SS Panzer Div and the 12th SS Panzer Division from DDay through the Falaise Pocket.

Do you mean Michael Reynolds - Steel Inferno (I SS Panzer Corp in Normandy)?

Martin