Calling all tankers: Firing procedures - can you enlighten us?

What do you want to know about Fire commands? I think my sig says it all. They have developed since the first introduction of tanks on the battle field. At gunnery and supposedly in combat you use commands to ensure accuracy, safety, and cohesion among the crew. For example if the loader gives a "up" meaning the main gun is armed he better get the hell out of the way of the breach when he hears "on the way" or it might be his last breath. I can get into incredible detail if you want but it can be boring.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One question: I heard somewhere that the Abrams no longer carries HE rounds--it's a pure anti-armor vehicle. Is that true? And if so, what's the logic of that...wouldn't you sometimes be likely to encounter infantry and need some HE? Or do other arms take care of them? I find in CM I'm firing HE from tanks a lot more often than AP. And apparently a post-WWII analysis of US tank destroyers found they fired something like 5 times as much HE as AP.

Yes this is true, no more HE. We have HEAT. ALthough it will not have the fragmentation effect of what a 105 HE wold have if it hits something solid it sure makes a mess of things (bunkers, bldgs, fortifications, etc.). Plus there is the co-ax and the .50 for troop work if need be.

Have yet to see an actual MPAT round, and my Platoon sergeant who has 18 years on these beasts has never seen one either. As for the STAFF that is cost prohibitive and still experimental.

To answer some previous questions, the 120mm fires a combustible cartridge and all you are left with is the stub base (AVCAP).

The "super sabot" with a DU penetrating rod can just about penetrate anything out there within 3000m

BTW we have the largest collection of running US WW2 AFV's. I dont participate much in events with the club here but it is sure fun to jump in a sherman or halftrack and go for a trot. We have a M24 in the motor pool right now that they are working on getting going.

Yep,

When I was at Knox they brought out the working sherman so we could climb on it. Sure was unconfortable inside, felt tight.

I have alot of respect for the guys who had to fight that thing.

When I was in Macedonia this year, we pulled out 3 M36s TDs out of Kosovo (I think that's what they were)and sent them back to Germany for a museum. It was real cool to climb all over them, however they were in bad shape.

I think the 1st AD and the 1st ID have their moments. Hard to judge things. I will leave it at that, haha. I love Germany and treat every free moment as my last and do lots of train rides and daytrips to all kinds of historical places you only read about in history books. Probably the best place I was at before I went to CMTC (Hohenfels) and Gunnery (Graf) was the Maginot line and the citadel fortress in France, Bitche.

JJ,

I know what you mean. It is a big privledge to be living here in Germany. Any chance that we get the wife and I get on a train and do some traveling. I love Europe. The last battle fields I made it too where the Market Garden bunch - Nimegan, Veghle (sp?), and Arnhem, Really enjoyed the trip. Hope to make it up too Normandy this summer.

Scott

Dr. R,

That was the MPAT-A (Multi Purpose Anti-Tank / Air). The round is supposed to detect electromagnetic energy put off by the rotars (at least that is what they said in school). Like JJ and I said neither of us have ever seen a real one. None of the senior NCOs I've worked with have seen one either. As far as I know they have never been issued to US troops in combat. (Now some guy is going to come along and tell me he used it ;) )

Scott

I'm no tank expert, but I found a website which indicates that they use HEAT with a proximity detonator to take out helicopters. Here's the site with a nice shot of a helicopter going KaBlammo.

MPAT is what you are talking about. On the nose cone you can set it for Proximity (air) or ground. In keeping with the thread topic the command would be " gunner MPAT-air helicopter"

JJ,

Do you guys use the

"Gunner MPAT Air?"

It's been a couple of years since I was last in a COFT, but I could of swore we were using

"Gunner, Sabot, Air"

By the time the loader got the MPAT wrenched up to anti-air, I would imagine the helo would be gone.

SGT G,

I hope that happens to me....stuck on the beach...what a hard life!