15 turns is insufficient to capture objective

Yesterday I played the Gefechtsaufklarung scenario and found that the 15 turn limit was insufficient to capture the objective. Although I could move my armour up to the village, I didn't want to risk moving my infantry out of the scattered trees because they would have almost certainly got pinned down.

Although I killed many enemies, the game was played to a draw because I couldn't capture the objective.

Is it possible?

I'm aware that the amount of turns can be increased by adjusting the game files but I don't want to risk upsetting game balance. AI isn't that smart, after all.

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

I've played this a few times and normally managed a minor victory but two days ago after careful analysis of the force mix decided to change tactics. Creeping through the woods just got my troops caught in a viscious crossfire when they advanced.

Stage 1 (Turns 1-4)

This time the 105 FO was not used to prep the objective or even provide on call fire (the scenario is 15 turns and you spend three waiting for rounds out) but to fire a smoke barrage close to the barrier, on the road. The Stug plus 251 with one section plus mortar loaded, waited for three minutes and then rushed through the corn fields followed by the remainder of the platoon. The HMG took up position in the hut close to the start line, on the right flank. As the smoke screen was maturing (fired on the first turn for zero delay) the 75mm engaged the line of houses on the left of the objective.

Stage 2 (Turns 5-11)

The platoon assembled as the Stug+251 started to engage the houses on the right of the objective. The smoke cleared (high wind in scenario set up) The Russians pinned my HQ quickly and this delayed the assault for 2 minutes as fire was directed from two fronts. By going throught the cornfields I negated the anti-tank gun and the troops on the far left, these tried to relocate but were pinned by the HMG plus 75mm IG. The Stug buttoned and supported the infantry as they advanced, giving mutual support. When the HQ stopped cowering, the sections moved to their final assault positions covered by all support weapons and AFV's. 1st section was now in the ruins of the house close to the objective, after killing the company HQ. Second section was in the foxhole vacated by the 50mm Russian mortar crew. HQ was finally in command radius and advanced to the scattered trees just to the right of the Church (objective). Third section prepared to assault the trenches poking out the Church. most sections had taken 2-3 casualties HQ 1

Stage 3 (turns 12-14)

Stug plus 75mm smoke objectives right and rear sides. Infantry are engaging the defenders in the objective and fleeing troops exiting to the rear. HMG and mortar are pinning any troops trying to interfere with the platoon position. When the smoke has matured, third section assaults followed by second section, covered by the Stug followed by the first, which was covered by the 251. The AI fights back ferociously but on turn 14 I get a Total Victory, as the combination of a multi pronged assault backed by HE and smoke causes the defenders to all panic or rout.

Total losses: German 11 (2 dead)

Russian 64 (16 dead) + prisoners

Yeah, sorry not the clearest exposition. Yes, the corn fields crossed were to the right and the AFV's went along the far right edge and turned left facing the objective. Smoke was fired on round one, as I said "for zero delay" but as it was maturing the IG was tasked to attack the two buildings on the right of the objective.

Originally posted by Vark:

Yeah, sorry not the clearest exposition. Yes, the corn fields crossed were to the right and the AFV's went along the far right edge and turned left facing the objective. Smoke was fired on round one, as I said "for zero delay" but as it was maturing the IG was tasked to attack the two buildings on the right of the objective.

my mistake . Thanks ;)

OK...as in another thread, multiple possible tactics.

I went to the left.

Stumbled into the infantry at the end of the field to the left (this was utterly blind, FOW).

Used most of my infantry to remove that infantry and AT gun.

THEN moved my Stug forward.

My IG gun leveled the church, from turn one.

Win: Major 74/26.

Again, I can see how one might want to go right. But a side shot on the Stug or the half-track, and most people would punch for a replay