Biltong's Campaign Rules

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by 88mm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Hence: Allies need to be roled up 1st. Logical after all

No, i don't understand. Every roll of the dice is a action on itself, why should it be different when you start rolling the Axis Parameters :confused:

</font>

Well, my 1800 art. didn't helped me much. guess i made some serious mistake.

My forces were setup for a left-flank manouvre, covered by smoke from 2 105mm art. the first action went well, knocked out one mg bunker which was placed on the utmost left-side of me.

My Spw's,Tanks and troops rushed to the smokecreen. Unfortunatle i lost 1 Pz 35t underway , a small hole in the screen gave a At-gun the chance to knock it down. turn 4 i passed the smoke, and here i ran into trouble immedietly. turn 4/5 the HE barrage started too, with 2x150mm Art en 2 x105mm art. But my pz. core ran into a screen of AT-guns and MG-bunkers+At-pillbox. Lost all Pz 35t after a fierce shoot-out, 1 PzIIIh and some SPW's.

After a quick re assembling of the remainder task-force i could push toward to main-flag and fighted for a disappointing draw...

My infantry were never in a very good position, total overal kill's for my squads/mg's; 50 inf...

Think i am gonna play battle 2 over.... [/QB]

Some more thoughts:

Did you emerge from the smoke screen, or did you establish covering positions for your next advance just before the smoke settled? A smoke screen is a perfect rear slope:

- anything emerging from it is moving, and thus can't spot well

- there are no overwatch positions

- if you move thru it in driblets, you will get defeated in driblets.

- if you move thru it on a broad front with all units at the same time, the ATGs nevertheless have to range in only once, using the same range for all consecutive targets.

- Aim your barrage for identified targets. Sounds are usually enough, but make sure you spend 250 points for 35 150mm rounds on targets that are worth those 250 points. Shelling a 25 point ATG with 250 points of arty is not efficient.

- If you have to duel ATGs with tanks, it is usually better to engage the guns from range, where the guns can't penetrate the armor. If you have at least some tanks in overwatch, you can retreat your forward tanks once the ATGs open up.

If Inf instead of armor found the guns - even better. If the guns disappear - check your stats if somebody killed them, else use area fire on the probably hiding guns. If an inf marker (crew) appears near the gun, you usually have killed them.

Gruß

Joachim

[...] in the excel-sheets i see favor-points for KO/Aban. Mortars. In Biltaid i find nothing of it (mortars).

It is there. First panel of general AAR results. Mortars are counted for Favor computation.

another thing:

Can't you change the player experience with biltaid ? It just starts with regular....

Not directly possible now. The default setup is Regula player exp and fixed Battle Group.

Currently the only workaround is to start with a Custom campaign where you may change all that.

Also i am puzzling why there is such a difficult calculation made for favor. Is it realy a must?

Beeing answered previously

Seahawk

Well, my 1800 art. didn't helped me much. guess i made some serious mistake.

My forces were setup for a left-flank manouvre, covered by smoke from 2 105mm art. the first action went well, knocked out one mg bunker which was placed on the utmost left-side of me.

My Spw's,Tanks and troops rushed to the smokecreen. Unfortunatle i lost 1 Pz 35t underway , a small hole in the screen gave a At-gun the chance to knock it down. turn 4 i passed the smoke, and here i ran into trouble immedietly. turn 4/5 the HE barrage started too, with 2x150mm Art en 2 x105mm art. But my pz. core ran into a screen of AT-guns and MG-bunkers+At-pillbox. Lost all Pz 35t after a fierce shoot-out, 1 PzIIIh and some SPW's.

After a quick re assembling of the remainder task-force i could push toward to main-flag and fighted for a disappointing draw...

My infantry were never in a very good position, total overal kill's for my squads/mg's; 50 inf...

Think i am gonna play battle 2 over....

Well, from your AAR it looks you are not truly finding easy and piece of cake (ie boring) battles with BCR ;) as you feared before starting.

:D I am not talking from experience but BCR players have experienced difficult to digest heavy losses so be prepared :D

[ May 14, 2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

This map is really killing me :(

firts i have to hide every single vehicle, otherwise they are pounded heavily my enemy art.

Second i have not yet the right tactics to deal with those :mad: damn :mad: At-guns/pill-boxes.

As scarface mentions, my fault is to rush the armor too far forward. But the problem is i can't manouvre my infantry/MG-guns/mortarts in a good position without heavy losses....

Last try started well, but it all fails when i reach the "jump-off" spot (some nice covered tree's) Again most of armor K.O. and some SPW's. Enemy loss sofar 5 guns and a pillbox with some inf. turn 14 of 35 and score sofar 12/45%

Think i let my troops in cover and bypass this nigtmare :D

I used 1 105mm for smoke, the rest 2x150/2x105/2x81morShells HE , just pointed in the area of attack where i suspect enemie-precence, delayed with 2/3 minutes, to make my inf. catch up and suprpise the shocked enemy. Still, i do something seriously wrong. Biggets trouble is to get those nasty (cheap-field 81mm/50mm)mortars in position to do something usefull :(

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...] in the excel-sheets i see favor-points for KO/Aban. Mortars. In Biltaid i find nothing of it (mortars).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is there. First panel of general AAR results. Mortars are counted for Favor computation

Oww, sorry. That's not exactly what i mean. I mean the sheet where you fill in the results for your single units. Anyway, it isn't there, but i see in the Excel-sheets why;

All the Units listed below gain 1 Experience Point for any number of Allied Casualties caused.

In addition to the above Experience Point they can also earn one extra Experience Point (maximum) for

additional Allied Casualties caused from and including the specified number below:

CO's: 5+ Casualties; Squads: 12+ Casualties;

Tank hunter & Flame Thrower teams: 5+ Casualties; Sharpshooters: 4+ Casualties

LMG's: 7+ Casualties; HMG's: 14+ Casualties

Mortars 50mm: 5+ Casualties; Mortars 81mm: 15+ Casualties

Guns smaller than 40mm: 8+ Casualties

Guns from and including 40mm up to and including 74mm as well as 37mm flak & 20mm quad

flak: 15+ Casualties

Guns greater than 74mm: 30+ Casualties

So for a small Mortat a add 5 bonus-points to the casualties (inf) ? and the bigger 81mm 15? how about the 120mm then ? That must be worth more...

Some clearafications; SPW > Vehicles or light Armor ? Pz IIc > Light Armor or tank ?

and a SPW sp/2 or a SPW FLAK ?

[ May 14, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: 88mm ]

firts i have to hide every single vehicle, otherwise they are pounded heavily my enemy art.

Second i have not yet the right tactics to deal with those :mad: damn :mad: At-guns/pill-boxes.

As scarface mentions, my fault is to rush the armor too far forward. But the problem is i can't manouvre my infantry/MG-guns/mortarts in a good position without heavy losses....

Last try started well, but it all fails when i reach the "jump-off" spot (some nice covered tree's) Again most of armor K.O. and some SPW's. Enemy loss sofar 5 guns and a pillbox with some inf. turn 14 of 35 and score sofar 12/45%

I used 1 105mm for smoke, the rest 2x150/2x105/2x81morShells HE , just pointed in the area of attack where i suspect enemie-precence, delayed with 2/3 minutes, to make my inf. catch up and suprpise the shocked enemy. Still, i do something seriously wrong. Biggets trouble is to get those nasty (cheap-field 81mm/50mm)mortars in position to do something usefull :(

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />quote:

It is there. First panel of general AAR results. Mortars are counted for Favor computation

Oww, sorry. That's not exactly what i mean. I mean the sheet where you fill in the results for your single units. Anyway, it isn't there, but i see in the Excel-sheets why;

All the Units listed below gain 1 Experience Point for any number of Allied Casualties caused.

In addition to the above Experience Point they can also earn one extra Experience Point (maximum) for

additional Allied Casualties caused from and including the specified number below:

CO's: 5+ Casualties; Squads: 12+ Casualties;

Tank hunter & Flame Thrower teams: 5+ Casualties; Sharpshooters: 4+ Casualties

LMG's: 7+ Casualties; HMG's: 14+ Casualties

Mortars 50mm: 5+ Casualties; Mortars 81mm: 15+ Casualties

Guns smaller than 40mm: 8+ Casualties

Guns from and including 40mm up to and including 74mm as well as 37mm flak & 20mm quad

flak: 15+ Casualties

Guns greater than 74mm: 30+ Casualties

So for a small Mortat a add 5 bonus-points to the casualties (inf) ? and the bigger 81mm 15? how about the 120mm then ? That must be worth more...

Some clearafications; SPW > Vehicles or light Armor ? Pz IIc > Light Armor or tank ?

and a SPW sp/2 or a SPW FLAK ? </font>

Did you emerge from the smoke screen, or did you establish covering positions for your next advance just before the smoke settled?
emerge? you mean, just pass it through? yes/no

I rush (fast forward) with all Vehicle/armor just behind the smokescreen. Then unload and positioning my stuff. Only thing is, sometimes you still get shot at, and then my respons is to try to konck it down, send some more tanks to support (not too far forward but still). So my "overwatch" isn't ready yet, it's in the make. Am i making it to far forward?

A nice strip of trees/bushes looked good to me to make a "overhead". trouble is it's insight of those pesky At. Thought i could still use it to cover it with smoke.

if you move thru it in driblets, you will get defeated in driblets.
driblets :confused: sorry, my english fails..

if you move through it on a broad front
Broad? 200 metres ?

Aim your barrage at identified targets...
I aim where i suspect them, behind the smokescreen. And no, i don't fire a battery on a single target.

If you have to duel ATGs with tanks, it is usually better to engage the guns from range, where the guns can't penetrate the armor. If you have at least some tanks in overwatch
Yes, but where's the overwatch? All my tanks, well 7 or 8 are moving forward.. Besides, most of the time when they are behind they can't see that one AT i wanna kill.

If Inf instead of armor found the guns - even better
Well, dunno. They panic, get shot at go routed.... they see me too :rolleyes:

Looks i make every single tacticale mistake with every possible unit there exist. And that's weird, in stee panthers i do just those things you mention, inf forward, detect gun, tanks surpress gun, inf kills... Only in CMBB i don't seem to get a good overview of the field, i can't "read the map" as good like i could in Steel Panters.

[...]

You see?! You are getting the BCR reality check already :D

[...] Biggets trouble is to get those nasty (cheap-field 81mm/50mm)mortars in position to do something usefull :(

Remember: they do NOT need to have a LOS, only the HQ unit in range with them need that. You may keep the mortars well hidden and under cover.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />quote:

</font>

Did you emerge from the smoke screen, or did you establish covering positions for your next advance just before the smoke settled?

I rush (fast forward) with all Vehicle/armor just behind the smokescreen. Then unload and positioning my stuff. Only thing is, sometimes you still get shot at, and then my respons is to try to konck it down, send some more tanks to support (not too far forward but still). So my "overwatch" isn't ready yet, it's in the make. Am i making it to far forward?

A nice strip of trees/bushes looked good to me to make a "overhead". trouble is it's insight of those pesky At. Thought i could still use it to cover it with smoke.

if you move thru it in driblets, you will get defeated in driblets.
driblets :confused: sorry, my english fails..

if you move through it on a broad front
Broad? 200 metres ?

Aim your barrage at identified targets...
I aim where i suspect them, behind the smokescreen. And no, i don't fire a battery on a single target.

If you have to duel ATGs with tanks, it is usually better to engage the guns from range, where the guns can't penetrate the armor. If you have at least some tanks in overwatch
Yes, but where's the overwatch? All my tanks, well 7 or 8 are moving forward.. Besides, most of the time when they are behind they can't see that one AT i wanna kill.

If Inf instead of armor found the guns - even better
Well, dunno. They panic, get shot at go routed.... they see me too :rolleyes:

Looks i make every single tacticale mistake with every possible unit there exist. And that's weird, in stee panthers i do just those things you mention, inf forward, detect gun, tanks surpress gun, inf kills... Only in CMBB i don't seem to get a good overview of the field, i can't "read the map" as good like i could in Steel Panters.

Where is he ? :D

Does this mean a boost for 'biltaid" ?

Oke, now i understand the exp. stuff. There is also something missing i understand. Do i add bonus for a squad that knocks a mortar? Where?

Ah, totaly forgotten about the mortart. But they need contact (red line) with the Hq in qusetion, right?

ps: i have a bright idea. Maybe you would like to play this map againts me, while i do the russians smile.gif that could teach me

[ May 14, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: 88mm ]

Where is he ? :D

He is from Poland

Does this mean a boost for 'biltaid" ?

That is what "BiltAid is receiving a considerable boost" indeed means :D

Oke, now i understand the exp. stuff. There is also something missing i understand. Do i add bonus for a squad that knocks a mortar? Where?

Nope. Nowhere.

Ah, totaly forgotten about the mortart. But they need contact (red line) with the Hq in qusetion, right?

Right

ps: i have a bright idea. Maybe you would like to play this map againts me, while i do the russians smile.gif that could teach me

Can't do. Little time to play my own campaign these days :(

Seahawk,

A request for an amendment to BiltAid

When you go to load/save game, can you make it default to the directory BiltAid is installed in. Currently it defaults to c:\Windows, I would like to default to c:\BiltAid (in my case).

Thanks

Battle-report BCR-game2

well, i am trying a differen tactic now. It needed some "work" :D

Turn 15 of 35:

after a small smokescreen i have moved up all my mortars and some Mg34 in nice spots, two platoons are in the field to scout those At's. sofar i MG bunker killed, and a At pillbox spotted. No armor losses sofar only a few men. Score 8%/4% at the moment...

My trick to attract his art. worked very well. Lured him with 1 PzIIc on a empty spot, all his ammo depleted in 3 turns, good riddens :D

(my pz IIc survided unscratched )

I am moving very slowly and yet am about 300/400 meters away from the closest flag. Don't think i get them all within given time without heavy losses, so i aim for three of them.

Battle-report BCR-game2

well, i am trying a differen tactic now. It needed some "work" :D

I am moving very slowly and yet am about 300/400 meters away from the closest flag. Don't think i get them all within given time without heavy losses, so i aim for three of them.

You are learning fast! As a small hint, expect some reinforcements for the defense and later counter attacks once you come close to a flag and the AI has enough strength left. This will cost you some time, but boost your kill ratio.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Scarhead:

You are learning fast! As a small hint, expect some reinforcements for the defense and later counter attacks once you come close to a flag and the AI has enough strength left. This will cost you some time, but boost your kill ratio.

Gruß

Joachim

If my armor survises, those will be the happy days :D walk, scum !

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Did you emerge from the smoke screen, or did you establish covering positions for your next advance just before the smoke settled?

</font>

Gamereport Battle 2 (june/41)

After carefully plotted avance, i achieved 2 flags. A minor victory againts a numerous enemy (800 men+, 8 At's, 4 a 5 pillboxes). lost 21 men and 2 vehicles. Only my core-scores are low, ver low, Not one tank killed more then 12 inf, as did my infantry. gues this could be done better to give my troops the much needed Exp.

I attacke btw. on the foes sweet spot, where only 2 at's and 2 pillboxes were present. Over the bult to the right the majority of his At's were in very good position to cover his left-flank (centre) where the big flag is.

Overal i am satisfied, but no more then that...

News from the front: after we moved out of Kiev, all of the troops seemed to relish being back in the country again. It seems to suit them: the 2 battles since leaving that hell-hole of a city have been against numerically superior numbers yet have been fortunate to be Total V's for das Reich.

Now, Hitler's seen fit to outfit my command with almost half a BN of Veteran Romanians, and has also sent me back into the next large town - or what's left of it, after much damage... there's rubble everywhere, and it seems the Russians are content to defend the area directly BEHIND the city's remains instead...

Too much open area to cover in 35 mins... I've just deployed my forces in what looks to be a 6-day affair.... damned towns...

Onto my Question: on my last battle, I encountered an entirely unexpected event: I was defending very well vs. an Immediate Allied Assault, and my morale number actually started to RISE a point or 2... I haven't really looked over the whole Manual yet: is this possible, when there were no squads re-forming? anyone else seen their Morale rise inexplicably during a battle?

Mike Dwyer mailed me with the folowing:

I have been lurking on the BCR Forum at BattleFront.com for a while and played a few games using BiltAid. I like your system but felt that tracking individual soldier was very important. I felt that averaging the unit's experience was removing the fact that there could be some very high exp. soldiers in a squad with green ones and that over the long run the high level exp. should move the unit up faster. So not wanting to complain about things I wrote a computer program to track squad/teams as individuals.

I would love to see your program. What do you do when there are say 3 casualties in a squad? Randomly select which individuals were killed/wounded?

My problem now is I have no idea historically what the rate of replacements should be. I know this number would change as German losses mounted and conditions at the front get worse. Since I have no data at all in this area I thought I would ask you.

Rate of replacements? BCR tracks Quality of Replacements quite closely, but how many/rate? replacements were assigned to the Battle Group and arrived in time for a battle is clumped together with a host of other factors such as wounded; killed; frostbite victims; sick; lack of ammo; spares; fuel etc etc. All handled by the Casualty parameter.

Some Grogs might have an answer, but I doubt that you will find a generalised 'Rate of Replacements' for anything other than a Division or smaller and for a narrow time range. I.e.: You'll find mentions of "Division X was at 45% strength at this date and half there replacements have not arrived by such and such a date".

I've never seen it mentioned in general terms for a corp or Army or larger and definitely not for the Southern theatre. The research to determine this accurately will take up a hell of a lot of time and I think you'll have large gaps in the data. Sorry - can't help.

I suggest you post it in the general board: "Grogs - pls help with rate of replacements" or somefink smile.gif

I'll post this in the BCR thread as well - you never know. ;)

Biltong