Updated photos - Grossdeutschland veteran interview

I've gotten some great new scans of Unteroffizier Albert Bertsch, who I interviewed for my GD site.

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/bertsch.htm

The interview has not changed but the images have. Still a couple of the older scans, but Jeremy has kindly given me new scans and also some new photos I've not seen before.

bertsch2.jpg

[ September 23, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Hey Michael,

This doesn't have anyhting to do with the intereview, (which was pretty god) only way I can get a hold of you. I was wondering if you knew of a site or a individual, where I could get a original K89K rifle sling from. I have been to several gun/collector shows and haven't found anything (or anything in decent shape). I figure you collect so maybe you might know.

Michael,

I don't normally act as a grog or historian, but one comment on the pictures posted on your site. I think the picture you have listed as overhead communication lines is actually a well. Travelling in Hungary, you see these canitlevers on the plains everywhere. With a weight on one end and a bucket on the other, little effort is necessary to draw up the water.

Jeff

Originally posted by Speedbump:

Michael,

I don't normally act as a grog or historian, but one comment on the pictures posted on your site. I think the picture you have listed as overhead communication lines is actually a well. Travelling in Hungary, you see these canitlevers on the plains everywhere. With a weight on one end and a bucket on the other, little effort is necessary to draw up the water.

Jeff

Now that is extremely helpful, thanks! Can I credit you with the info? Feel free to contact me at madorosh@shaw.ca and you can tell me the proper credit info.

• 2 weeks later...

Tracer,

Did you try 1944militaria.com for the original k98 sling? I just saw this on his site:

Original German WWII k98 Leather Slings- These are original slings and are in used condition. These are a very dark brown, almost black, color from being used in the war, storage and age. Most have some type of manufacturer marking or date on the leather or metal hardware, but some are not marked. We would not recommend using these for re-enacting due to the age. These would be great for putting on the original k98 rifle in your collection. Good condition. We only have ones that are un-marked for $35.00

You may want to call or e-mail him to see if he has any.